Commentary: Mormon Women Have a New Heaven

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Re: Commentary: Mormon Women Have a New Heaven

Post by _Mormonicious »

Ah, the Roar of the Commodities, how special. What, now you want your own "Priestesshood"?

Let it be heard and let it be learned, Rusty and the boys are only allowing these changes UNTIL the US Supreme Court rules that Polygamy is legal and then watch out Bitches, the Penishood is BACK.

(THIS IS A PUN!)
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Shulem wrote:Image

This was perhaps a part of the covenanting that was discontinued for safety reasons.

Congratulations on a well-written article.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Except, don't the women now covenant to "the new and everlasting covenant" now? couldn't that be a step backwards, or closer to something restoring polygamy at some level?
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

MsJack wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed my op-ed.

It is very well thought out, backed up with Biblical and even Book of Mormon references, and written.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Holy Ghost wrote:
MsJack wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed my op-ed.

It is very well thought out, backed up with Biblical and even Book of Mormon references, and written.

Yes, all joking aside, very well versed and written.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Are men still expected to resurrect their wives?)

MsJack,

Can you fill in a little more background on this?

TIA

Sure! I was trying to be careful about mentioning parts of the temple ceremony. You probably recall that men learn their wives' temple names, but women aren't permitted to learn their husband's. This is one of those God => Man => Woman symbols that I critiqued in my thesis.

The reason for this has been explained as men needing to know their wives' names so that they can call them forth in the resurrection. But women aren't going to be resurrecting their husbands, so they don't need to know their husbands' names.

Basically, I'm asking, is this still the case? Do men still learn their wives' names, but not the other way around?

See the pages in my master's thesis for some discussion of this:

http://www.weighted-glory.com/wp-conten ... -59-68.pdf
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

MsJack wrote:Sure! I was trying to be careful about mentioning parts of the temple ceremony. You probably recall that men learn their wives temple names, but women aren't permitted to learn their husband's. This is one of those God => Man => Woman symbols that I critiqued in my thesis.

The reason for this has been explained as men needing to know their wives' names so that they can call them forth in the resurrection. But women aren't going to be resurrecting their husbands, so they don't need to know their husbands' names.

Basically, I'm asking, is this still the case? Do men still learn their wives' names, but not the other way around?

See the pages in my master's thesis for some discussion of this:

http://www.weighted-glory.com/wp-conten ... -59-68.pdf

Thanks.

I had forgotten that part or may not have seen it since last time I went to the through the temple I was single and they were still doing the slit your throat thing.

So what you are saying is, in Mormon theology (is that an oxymormon?) a resurrected man might conveniently forget his wife's temple name and she would stay dead forever. :wink: Make sense, given that Joseph Smith had over 40 wives, he may just have wanted to pick and choose which ones he "calls forth."
Man, the further I get away from belief the weirder we look. Seriously, who believes this sort of nonsense?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Fence Sitter wrote:So what you are saying is, in Mormon theology (is that an oxymormon?) a resurrected man might conveniently forget his wife's temple name and she would stay dead forever. :wink: Make sense, given that Joseph Smith had over 40 wives, he may just have wanted to pick and choose which ones he "calls forth."

I mostly just see it as an inequality. There's a lack of mutuality in the arrangement. Men are privy to knowledge about their spouses that women are deprived of, and it makes women vulnerable to men in a way that isn't reciprocated.

On another note, this document was apparently posted in a ward in Utah:

https://imgur.com/a/3fPjmZ1

The first paragraph claims that "General Authorities" helped author the document, and the last paragraph claims that the temple ceremony has been corrupted by the philosophies of men. Oh dear. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tresa Brown Edmunds said it best: "Funny, the people who love to call feminists to repentance for trying to tell the prophet how to run the church, suddenly don’t have any problem with activism once their power gets threatened."
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Exiled wrote:I enjoyed the oped.

moksha wrote:Congratulations on a well-written article.

Holy Ghost wrote:It is very well thought out, backed up with Biblical and even Book of Mormon references, and written.

Mormonicious wrote:Yes, all joking aside, very well versed and written.

Thank you. I am glad everyone enjoyed it!

_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Good job Ms J- here is how I perceive it going :

I heard a man call: "Esther come forth to me!"

Female Esther :"Who are you?"

Male:"Don't worry Esther it is a man who will love you for eternity"

Female Esther: "Wait a minute I don't want to be resurrected except by my husband but i don't know his name"

Male: "Don't worry your pretty little head off, I can take good care of you!"

Female Esther: " I know Tom should have told me his temple name on earth- how will I know him"

Male: " Tom has six women he is taking care of, so you just come through the veil to ME"

Female Esther: "why didn't they change that name rule so i would know Tom?"

Male : "Well up here it is all about super sex with anybody you can get through the veil- I have 10 already,so come forth my pretty."

Esther : "Uh this must have been a part of temple preparation class i missed- oh well here i come-take me I'm yours whoever the hell you are "

k