Another church sex abuse case

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Another church sex abuse case

Post by _Maksutov »

https://apnews.com/ab606b38b5574323aaa2 ... 3iy6fevads

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — Another member of the Navajo Nation is suing the Mormon church, saying he was abused in a now-defunct program that sent children into foster care for the school year.

Unlike similar lawsuits, the complaint filed Tuesday in tribal court doesn’t seek changes to the policies of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It seeks unspecified monetary damages for decades of alleged emotional harm, including attempted suicide.

“This poor guy. He was devastated by what happened, just devastated,” said David Jordan, an attorney for the man identified as LB in court documents. “He has not escaped it his entire life.”

LB was baptized into the Mormon church before he started the fifth grade in 1984 and placed with a Mormon foster family in Utah. He was one of thousands of Native Americans who participated in the church’s Indian Student Placement Program that aimed to give children educational opportunities they didn’t have on the reservation. The voluntary program started in the late 1940s and ended around 2000.

The lawsuit says that LB was sexually molested three times in the 1980s by a church bishop who lived across the street from his foster family, twice at the bishop’s home and once at a church office. The bishop convinced LB to return to his home the second time by offering him candy, the lawsuit states.

LB told his foster mother about the abuse, but she accused him of lying. She sent him to bed without dinner and grounded him another time, according to the lawsuit. His foster father spanked him for reporting abuse to a case worker, the lawsuit states. LB also said he told a teacher.

LB was sent back home to the Navajo Nation after he stole from his foster family, part of his plan to get kicked out of the foster program, the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit says the church failed to keep LB safe and did not have a way to supervise those who participated in the placement program. The church did not report the abuse to law enforcement, the victim’s family or the public, the lawsuit states.

“If somebody takes your child and says ‘I will keep them safe,’ I think the highest duty imposed on that person should be safety and security until they’re returned,” Jordan said.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Another church sex abuse case

Post by _I have a question »

“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50844

Oops. Great minds think alike. :cool:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Perhaps sex abuse is the little stone cut from the mountain, now rolling forth and filling up the whole earth.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov