1739 Prophecy Foretelling of Church Founding

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: 1739 Prophecy Foretelling of Church Founding

Post by _Maksutov »

Craig Paxton wrote:
I have a question wrote:It makes one wonder why Church Leaders have so few real stories

Ahhh...maybe cuz its not true.

They are true but not real. Nobody ever says, "I know this church is real." :lol: :lol: :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

We are creatures of story, not fact. Creatures of fact are a rare subspecies, and even they are liable to be swayed by emotion and stories. We have feeble tools for apprehending reality. We don’t know but the most infinitesimal bits of it. That’s no excuse for abandoning a devotion to facts, but it might inspire more compassion for the pitiful state of humanity.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Solomon Chamberlin
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Maksutov wrote:Some people love to be lied to. Eyring Jr says that if you feel good about it, it's true. Right out of the Paul Dunn Book o'Scams.

Not much different than, "if it feels good, do it" hedonism.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Fence Sitter wrote:If Snopes had been around in the 19th century, Mormonism would not exist today.

Truth can change with variable circumstances. For instance, if Mitt Romney had achieved his calling as President then the Smithsonian Museum would have a Nephite exhibit.

Don't believe me? Just check with Snopes in that Alternate Universe (the one where the Constitution was partially damaged when it was snagged and hanging by a thread from Mitt Romney's White Horse. Fortunately, it was saved from being further soiled by that white horse thanks to an observant Dolores Kearns Goodwin).
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

I have a question wrote:It makes one wonder why Church Leaders have so few real stories, they rely on embellishments, second/third-hand member family folklore tales, generalised stories that can't be verified and downright lies to pad out their conference talks. If they were who and what they claimed to be, they'd have no shortage of their own, real, verifiable, miracle stories with which to demonstrate their point. Can you think of a GA telling a story about a mistake they made when they broke the word of wisdom, where they treated someone really badly, where they stole something, used bad language etc? No, me neither. They claim not to be infallible, but cannot bring themselves to articulate when they've been properly fallible like the rest of us. Even Holland's wrong road story was him doing right by doing wrong. Their brains must be pretzel shaped.

Come on Jeff, tell us about that time you tried a cigarette...or talk us through your penchant for coffee ice cream...

I've mentioned this here before, but I have a friend who believes he saw Jesus and spoke to him in his apartment one night. He shared this with me near the beginning of my disaffection. He also, by the way, shared it with President Eyring himself in person, years previous, the meeting made possible by a mutual friend of the apostle's son.

So there are stories, and the leadership has likely heard many of them. The human brain can be expected to produce certain experiences, and although not everyone in the given population will have them, a percentage will. It just so happens that, given the church population, there are plenty of random members who do have these "amazing" experiences. But imagine what it would be like for an apostle to get up in conference and tell of hearing this witness of Jesus, not his own witness, but the witness of some random European member with no leadership status in the church.

How does one explain share that without undermining his own calling as a special witness of Christ?