How to Reconcile

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: How to Reconcile

Post by _Gadianton »

Well stem,

I Believed that it was pointless to try and say anything to friends and family and so for the most part I never did. I moved out of Utah and when the preaching intensified I politely listened and then quit answering the phone. After a few years they had to decide what they wanted, I could go either way — I mean really it’s not fair that I had to listen to hours and hours of desperate pleas and I can literally say nothing without destroying feelings and greatly offending — and so they finally figured it out that the price of admission for me not to be an “anti-Mormon bore” was they also had to back off, and then things got good because we could appreciate each other for the things we were doing in life and not for whatever thoughts we had about the cult at the moment.

But there was an unanticipated cost to this. My ability to play it cool and let them wonder appears to have contributed to at least one faith crisis. And that is bad, in this case, so I’ve had thoughts that I should have been an anti Mormon bore as that would have made them discount their doubts.

Pretty crazy stuff.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Stem wrote:At some point, not much more than a year ago, I concluded that it didn't work for me. I concluded I was a bit foolish to think it was working, and that it wasn't really working the whole time.

This.

Stem wrote:... I suppose I'm convinced if I can put it just right for those closest to me who remain churchy folks, they'd see the light. If I can get them to read the right books, and open up their imagination a bit, they'd let it go. It'd make me feel better if that were true. But it's not. So many people who I just completely enjoy and would do anything for will remain for the rest of our lives engaged heavily in the Church, no matter what I do.

This totally makes sense. But I wonder about the flip side of this. I'd imagine that there are folks within your family or circle of close friends who are outstanding individuals, and it can certainly be argued that the framework of the Church and its community end up being a factor in the outcome. Or not. I ask myself the same question with regard to my own extended family, and then wonder how separating those individuals from the core belief system and shared faith experiences they've been immersed within for their whole life would fare for them. For some, I can't imagine them any other way than firm believers, and I'd never want to be the person who nudged them down that path to disbelief if it caused them more pain than benefit. Not that this is even entirely escapable by offering no contrary opinion, as Gad points out - just your present belief status, in and of itself with nothing further asserted by you, can be the catalyst for another to head down that path themselves.

I wish that this did not have to be so difficult for you, or anyone else that I know, or even myself, and I certainly have no answer. I can only wish for you that you'll be able to tread this path with less pain as time goes by.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Stem...just wanted you to know that you have been a hero to me in many ways. Your journey may not be the same as mine, but the feelings are the same intense feelings that sway me to a core that speaks a certain peace...with or without others in my realm. You be you...and eventually all things may find a place in this puzzle that calls itself a religion of God.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Where do you go from here?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Peace.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson