"Book of Abraham and Related Manuscripts" Gee snubbed?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

"Book of Abraham and Related Manuscripts" Gee snubbed?

Post by _I have a question »

On THIS thread Tom and I had the following exchange:
Tom wrote:On a side note, during the November 11 broadcast of the show, Dr. Gee offered some criticisms of the latest volume in the Joseph Smith Papers Project, Book of Abraham and Related Manuscripts (ed. Hauglid and Jensen). Dr. Gee said that this volume "seems to be not of the same quality" of the other published volumes and noted that "there are some disappointing problems" with it. He is apparently working on a review for publication (he didn't name the outlet; I assume it's Interpreter). Will it be a takedown, a flawless victory, or something else?
IHAQ wrote:Why wouldn't the JSP project team, Hauglid and Jensen, have engaged with Egyptologist and Mormon John Gee in the production of the volume Book of Abraham and Related Manuscripts, and does that snub explain Gee's lack of enthusiasm for it?
Tom wrote:That's a good question. Perhaps Professor Gee will address that issue in his review. A related question: was Professor Muhlestein involved?

I figured it may be worth exploring those questions on a separate thread.
Were Gee and Muhlestein excluded from the JSP project "Book of Abraham and Related Manuscripts" (ed. Hauglid and Jensen). And if they were, what might we conclude?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Re: "Book of Abraham and Related Manuscripts" Gee snubbed?

Post by _sunstoned »

I find it very ironic that Gee would comment on the quality level and disappointing problems in the scholarly work of others.