Church lobbyist caught coercing members on cannabis vote

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Church lobbyist caught coercing members on cannabis vote

Post by _I have a question »

Two days before November’s election, a large gathering of Latter-day Saints listened as their stake president — also a powerful lobbyist — issued clear-cut guidance about their vote on a Utah ballot initiative for medical cannabis.

“Follow the prophet,” Marty Stephens, the chief lobbyist for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said during a South Jordan stake conference involving multiple congregations in the area.

https://us.hideproxy.me/go.php?u=WppAe% ... %3D%3D&b=5

Pretty sure a Stake President telling members how to vote during a Stake Conference is something the Church claims doesn't happen.

Stephens knew some members were wondering if they had been commanded to follow the church’s instruction to vote against Prop 2 or whether they could exercise their free will. His response to the question would draw him into charged political waters that church leaders typically try to avoid during religious gatherings.

According to an audio recording of the Nov. 4 meeting, Stephens suggested the directive to vote against Prop 2 is somewhat similar to church instructions on stockpiling food or staying out of debt.

“[The prophet’s] counsel on this and other issues that may arise do not likely rise to the level of basic doctrine such as those making us ineligible to receive a temple recommend. But it comes down to a question of whether or not we’re going to follow the prophet,” Stephens said. “He counsels, then we have our agency to choose. But for me, if the prophet speaks, I’m going to do my best to follow.”

I don't think a Church employed political lobbyist should be serving as a Stake President.

The church declined to comment on the recording and whether Stephens’ sermon violated any guidelines given to lay leaders about making political statements over the pulpit. Stephens did not return a call requesting an interview.

The church’s Handbook 2, offering instructions to its lay leaders, says that the faith stays neutral on political platforms and candidates.

“The church does not endorse any political party or candidate. Nor does it advise members how to vote,” the handbook states. “However, in some exceptional instances the church will take a position on specific legislation, particularly when it concludes that moral issues are involved.”

When the institutional church does speak out, it does so only with the support of the governing First Presidency.

“Stake presidents and other local leaders should not organize members to participate in political matters,” the handbook adds, “or attempt to influence how they participate.”
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')