The red flag on membership records...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

The red flag on membership records...

Post by _I have a question »

And sexual relations between consenting gay adults could prompt disfellowshipment or excommunication — as well as a red flag on their membership records in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The annotation instructs local lay leaders who see the membership records to call church headquarters in Salt Lake City.
Many of these local leaders also have interpreted this note on a membership document as a reason to ban gays from interactions with children or teens — as if they were pedophiles — even though the flagged activity was consensual and with adults.
This mark could follow members throughout their lives. Think of it as a kind of Latter-day Saint sex-offender registry — without any illegal offending.

Link

That was “standard practice,” Gustav-Wrathall says. “It is possible that there are bishops who don’t know that or ignore it. For the most part, though, once your record is annotated, you can never be involved with youth.”
That is based on an “antiquated stereotype that homosexuals are more likely to be predators, which is not true,” he says. “And the church has never revisited the issue since the 1960s.”
Researcher Gregory Prince, who is writing a book about the history of LGBTQ members and the church, has documented several cases in which the annotation was nearly impossible to blot out.

When introducing himself to his bishop in Portland about 12 years ago, Jon Hastings recalls saying, “I’m not sure what you know about me.”
The bishop replied, “Well, all I know is that you can’t work with children. There’s something on your record, and I called church headquarters to find out what it meant.”
At first, Hastings was “confused,” he says, “then devastated.”
He had been disfellowshipped for intimacy with men some years before but had been “re-fellowshipped.”
The assumption that he was a threat to children “had been tacked onto me,” Hastings says. “It wasn’t right or true.”

When he told his bishop he had kissed a boy, the lay leader said that any homosexual involvement — no matter how little — would delay him three years.
That was the first time Ibarra felt inhibited about being gay.
“I had been going on temple trips, taking the sacrament, and doing everything everyone else could do,” he says. “This felt disproportionate and unfair.”
He fell into a deep depression, dropping out of school and returning to Ohio, where he wound up in a psychiatric hospital, contemplating suicide.
“I should just kill myself now without having sinned and go to the Celestial Kingdom,” he reasoned, “or I could live until I am 40 and will definitely sin.”
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: The red flag on membership records...

Post by _moksha »

At least they are not requiring such members to have a Scarlet G sewn on their suit coat pockets. That requirement was dropped after 1997, except on the BYU-Idaho campus. The only current identifying feature is the usage of the expression, Go Cougs.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

If my son came out, the church would be the last place I would want him to be. The church is like a doctor that believes in bleeding a person to "cure" the person of some "disease" that isn't a disease, only a backwards social designation by the ignorant.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Never again! No to the Mormon cult!

_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Never again.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

IHAQ, are you suggesting that not all gay men are pedophiles?

I wrote a whole facetious paragraph about this absurd idea, but it is so disgusting and insulting that I couldn't post it. I'm glad that society has evolved somewhat, even if the Mormon church hasn't.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson