Dan Petersen in Australia Defends the Book of Mormon.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Dan Petersen in Australia Defends the Book of Mormon.

Post by _aussieguy55 »

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org.au/artic ... -of-mormon

Interesting arguments that have been debated before

Complexity
Intertexuality
Plausible Geography
Multiple Authorship.
Nephi and his broken bow.

I think the geography argument is the weakest.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Dan Petersen in Australia Defends the Book of Mormon.

Post by _I have a question »

Where was Dans presentation when Jenkins was utterly destroying the credibility of the Book of Mormon by asking a few simple questions? Has he sent the slides and transcript of his presentation to Jenkins as a full rebuttal to Jenkins counter points? Has he engaged Jenkins with this defence and asked Jenkins to try and point out holes in it?

No. He's selling snake oil to snake oil addicts. Any old fool can do that. He's like a Flat Earther presenting evidence for a Flat Earth to a congregation of Flat Earth believers.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

I have a question wrote:Where was Dans presentation when Jenkins was utterly destroying the credibility of the Book of Mormon by asking a few simple questions? Has he sent the slides and transcript of his presentation to Jenkins as a full rebuttal to Jenkins counter points? Has he engaged Jenkins with this defence and asked Jenkins to try and point out holes in it?

No. He's selling snake oil to snake oil addicts. Any old fool can do that. He's like a Flat Earther presenting evidence for a Flat Earth to a congregation of Flat Earth believers.

Hello IHAQ.

Please allow me to suggest the following wording for your last sentence above:

"He's selling snake oil to snake oil addicts. Any old fool can do that. He's like a Flat Earther presenting evidence (that he mistakenly interprets as support) for a Flat Earth to a congregation of Flat Earth believers."
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

DrW wrote:
I have a question wrote:Where was Dans presentation when Jenkins was utterly destroying the credibility of the Book of Mormon by asking a few simple questions? Has he sent the slides and transcript of his presentation to Jenkins as a full rebuttal to Jenkins counter points? Has he engaged Jenkins with this defence and asked Jenkins to try and point out holes in it?

Hello IHAQ.

Please allow me to suggest the following wording for your last sentence above:

"He's selling snake oil to snake oil addicts. Any old fool can do that. He's like a Flat Earther presenting evidence (that he mistakenly interprets as support) for a Flat Earth to a congregation of Flat Earth believers."

I think you are right Doc.

Peterson doesn't care whether the points he puts on his slides actually support the credibility of the Book of Mormon or not. Only that his audience believes they do. Where was he with all this evidence when his writing partner was getting his ass handed to him on the exact same topic by Jenkins, who wasn't even breaking a sweat to do so? Hiding.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

I’m completely convinced that Dan knows, at least a little more than just subconsciously, that he’s peddling a tall tale, but also knows that he has no choice now but to keep up the act.

I could be wrong, but if so, then we’re both wrong. But I know where I’d place my bet.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

But I know where I’d place my bet.

You can't place a bet where there's no takers for the other side.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_slskipper
_Emeritus

Post by _slskipper »

Here's what would convince me: if Rusty Nelson could tell us where Zarahemla was.

Until then, DCP, spend your professional time beoming the tenth person in the world who can decipher cuneiform.