Who Foots the Bill for DCP's Travel Expenses?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: Who Foots the Bill for DCP's Travel Expenses?

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Shulem wrote:The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints foots the bills.

Shulem:

It turns out you are correct. Dr. Peterson just admitted that the Church paid for part of the trip:

Sic et Non wrote:And, yes, some very limited Church funds were used to help with my food and lodging in Sydney and Melbourne, where I presented firesides to large LDS audiences and, with Church leaders, met with local representatives of other faiths.

Doesn't it feel good to be right?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Sic et Non wrote:And, yes, some very limited Church funds were used to help with my food and lodging in Sydney and Melbourne, where I presented firesides to large LDS audiences and, with Church leaders, met with local representatives of other faiths.

The more I think about it, the more it occurs to me that this is a startling and consequential admission. Think about it: he's saying that the LDS Church is *paying* for someone who is not a General Authority to go give firesides in Australia. The money for this, of course, is the "widow's mite" this is actual, Jesus Christ-owned money, which means, of course, that that ice cream cone that he ate to top off his Thai dinner, was paid for with tithe-payer money.

At least, that is the simple way of looking at it. The first question that comes to me is: Who else gets to profit from this sort of arrangement? Does Rodney Meldrum get his room and board covered by the Church? (Does Meldrum travel internationally, like Peterson does?) Church monies--one is accustomed to thinking--are meant to support the work of those who are fundamentally acting in service to the Church, lest they be accused of priestcraft, but the lines certainly get fuzzy, don't they? DCP writes that his talks were delivered to "large LDS audiences." So does that mean that the Brethren are willing to spend tithing dollars on speakers if they think it will drum up big crowds? (I can't help but think of the alleged "freebies" that were doled out to the likes of the Osmond family....)

But look more closely at the final clauses of Dr. Peterson's sentence: "I presented firesides to large LDS audiences and, with Church leaders, met with local representatives of other faiths," particularly the parts I've underlined. Prof. Peterson is breaking all kinds of Church PR rules here: he's putting his own aggrandizement ahead of the Church's interests: "Look at me! I'm hanging out with Church leaders. They invited *me*! And they're paying for me to be here!" How does the fact that it's him--versus Teryl Givens, Richard Bushman, or--dare I say?--Rodney Meldrum, for example--benefit the Church? Is the Church better off because tithing money was spent to put Daniel C. Peterson up in Australian hotels and to feed him Thai food, just so he can come deliver a couple of talks?

And then you have to wonder how this was arranged--which "strings" were pulled. In the wake of the "MI purge" of 2012 (and this is still ongoing), there has been a lot of speculation on the so-called "factions" of the Brethren, and whether the Mopologists are still in their good graces, and/or with which faction, etc. So part of this is political: DCP is trying to exclaim to everyone that at least *some* of the Brethren like him well enough that they're willing to spend the "Sister in Parowan"'s money on things she's never going to get to see, hear, or eat.

An amazing admission, to be sure.

ETA: given the amount of dust that has been kicked up lately, I am starting to feel more and more confident that David Bokovoy's allegation has real legs.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

It’s about time that he spoke frankly about the role of tithing and donations in Mopologetics. You were right all along, Doctor. You are completely vindicated here. Personally, I think the money is being poorly spent here. But I am not writing the checks, so who am I to complain? If the LDS Church wants to waste money on junk science and bad apologetics, that’s their business. As long as Lou is there to post accolades on Sic et Non, it’s all winning all the time.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:It’s about time that he spoke frankly about the role of tithing and donations in Mopologetics. You were right all along, Doctor. You are completely vindicated here. Personally, I think the money is being poorly spent here. But I am not writing the checks, so who am I to complain? If the LDS Church wants to waste money on junk science and bad apologetics, that’s their business. As long as Lou is there to post accolades on Sic et Non, it’s all winning all the time.

Good morn' Reverend! And goodly morning to you too, Dr. Scratch.

This morning, as I trudged to the Ensign Peak in darkness, I could feel the cold air snap at my face and lungs as a sort of reminder that we often do things that are good in theory, but become folly in practice. I certainly regretted my decision to make this early morning pilgrimage to one of Utah's most iconic vistas, a place where Brigham Young himself reportedly stood as he looked out over the valley and exclaimed, "This is the place!" Fortunately for my soul I had enough foresight to bring my iPod and a thermos full of Finca El Injerto coffee, hand selected from my own reserves, to invigorate both my body and mind as I trekked to this well-known summit.

As I stood atop the vista I was greeted with a sight to behold. The city and valley below shimmered in resplendent beauty, a sort of early Christmas present I suppose, where, as I listened to the aria Vallon Sonore from the opera Les Troyens by composer Louis Hector Berlioz I couldn't help but be reminded of Dr. Scratch's latest observations regarding man's follies as they seek fortune and fame. While standing silently atop this city on a hill, it struck me that in many ways, what we have here is something called a boondoggle. For our goodly readers, a boondoggle is work or an activity that is wasteful or pointless, but gives the appearance of having value.

As an object lesson in boondogglery, boy, I have to tell you two the revelation offered by Mr. Peterson that he has, in fact, taken monies from the Church to mingle scripture with the philosophies of men, and now, to represent the Church itself as a sort of 'goodwill ambassador' to the faithful abroad has dizzied my mind! Is this a calling, and if not, what role is he now being paid to do "unofficially" that the Brethren have ceded over to him? It appears that Mr. Peterson's mopologetic career has rewarded him handsomely with trips paid with the 'widow's mite' that include airfare, tony accommodations, sightseeing tours, and fame. What more could a humble BYU professor wish to achieve?

As I type that out I have to admit I chuckled a bit, and I'm reminded of my own forays into boondogglery while in service of our federal government. Why, there was one trip in particular, where I was sent to another city on a hill, Monterey, California, to participate in something called the Worldwide Language Olympics. I myself was paid handsomely to trip the light fantastic on the taxpayer's dime to discuss the finer aspects of bilingualism and the integration of which into military operations and doctrine. I, too, dined on the taxpayer's 'mite', toured the local sights such as the Hearst Castle, and passed time in a rental car, a topless emerald green Ford Mustang perfectly suited to racing up and down Highway 1 and the Carmel valley.

Perhaps it was an award for my faithful service? Perhaps Mr. Peterson's trips, where he's allowed to 'ooh and aah' at wonders the faithful tithe payer will never see, much less dream about, is a reward for his faithful service? What concrete good could possibly come out of his many trips, financed by those who choose to pay tithing instead of a heating bill, or go hungry so the Lord's anointed, Mr. Peterson in this case, can regale other religious luminaries, over the finest foods, with tales of Tariq ibn-Ziyad's Arab conquest and subsequent conversion to the One True Faith?

As I stood there atop Ensign Peak, where the wind coolly and without regard for my smallness, whipped and stung at my face, reminding me of my own insignificance, I received my own revelation, as it were. The Church too has no regard for the smallness of the widow and her mite. It spends money on folly, on hit pieces designed to destroy those it views as dissenters, or to ruin lives, and it rewards handsomely those who gleefully engage in this practice with these boondoggles to far away places, to 'wine and dine' with the religious intelligentsia simply to show the humblest among its flock that, "See? We're worldly, and accepted by the world." This is a strata most members will never know, a world that is far beyond their reach, just as the city below me this morning seemed apart and yet resplendent in its early morning luminescence, both observable and yet, out of reach.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Bravo, Doctor Cam!

I think the Church is paying to have its members’ ears tickled. If you can’t have answers, because there are no real answers, then you can have DCP come and reassure everyone that there were no problematic questions in the first place. How could that be, you might ask. Well, because the Book of Mormon witnesses were honest men and we have not really found the Book of Abraham papyrus. I am sorry you were confused about that, but those slippery anti-Mormons are clouding the vista of that beautiful city Zion with a lot of smoke.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

I must confess, Doctor Cam, that I truly envy your joie de vivre. One day—one day!—I hope to experience a scintilla (that’s Latin for spark) of the abundant life you lead. Until that fateful day, I must be satisfied with living it vicariously by drinking in your hauntingly poetic narratives.

In closing, I must share a classic line from Dr. Midgley over at Sic et Non: “I have seen the evidence that Professor Peterson eats well, and that he also enjoys banter while dining.” Can I get an amen?
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac