Church leaders exhorting members to cut back on social media

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Church leaders exhorting members to cut back on social media

Post by _I have a question »

...but then go on to increase their social media presence.

Following a trend to make the leaders of the Church visible across all social media platforms, the First Presidency joined the ranks of Instagram this month, meaning all of the Apostles now have accounts on the photo-based social media platform.

Members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles started appearing with official accounts on Instagram earlier this year, starting in July, and have been using the platform regularly in conjunction with other platforms like Facebook and Twitter to help spread the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ. But members of the First Presidency did not appear with official accounts on Instagram until Nov.1, when an account for President Russell M. Nelson, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, posted a photo following his recent tour of South America.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-a ... here-48439

“We have been tremendously blessed in recent years to reach people around the globe with messages that promote faith in Jesus Christ in ways that simply were not possible when I was a young man — or even a young father,” said Elder D. Todd Christofferson, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. “These advancements in communication are a blessing. We expect to continue to utilize digital channels — such as Instagram — that best help us in our desire to share the Savior’s message of hope, love and peace.”
Why would Nelson challenge women to spend 10 days away from such divinely given blessings?
With 72 percent of teenagers using Instagram on a daily basis, according to Newsroom, the platform is a great way for Church leaders to share messages of love and hope with the youth and young adults of the Church and exemplifies the efforts to connect with them on a more personal level.
It makes you wonder what was really behind Nelsons attempt at getting women off social media for that 10 day period.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Re: Church leaders exhorting members to cut back on social m

Post by _reflexzero »

I have a question wrote:...It makes you wonder what was really behind Nelsons attempt at getting women off social media for that 10 day period.

Maybe so he could browse social media and see all the posts about women obeying his command?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

What in the world is wrong with spending 10 days away from internet social media?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:What in the world is wrong with spending 10 days away from internet social media?

Something something elections, something something oppression...

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

huckelberry wrote:What in the world is wrong with spending 10 days away from internet social media?

I think they are starting to understand the profound affects social media is having on people and are probably a little concerned but also realizing they need to be a part of it to better get their message across.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I don't see a problem with limiting the time one spends on social media. I see a problem with limiting who has access to these platforms however. Facebook and the other mediums have taken the place of the public square and therefore letting some CEO decide who gets to speak or not is troubling unless there is some other competing outlet for the speech that is prohibited. Perhaps we need to break up these companies?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Timing? Previously: The me-too movement... primarily women.
Nelson asked women to take a break from social media around the same time Nelson’s daughter was charged in sex-abuse case cover-up.

https://fox13now.com/2018/10/03/lawsuit ... president/
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

It would have made more sense if President Nelson had geared this challenge to LDS teens. They seem to be constantly glued to their smartphones.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

Exiled wrote:I don't see a problem with limiting the time one spends on social media. I see a problem with limiting who has access to these platforms however. Facebook and the other mediums have taken the place of the public square and therefore letting some CEO decide who gets to speak or not is troubling unless there is some other competing outlet for the speech that is prohibited. Perhaps we need to break up these companies?

There are very good reasons to limit or cut back on social media use, especially those media that lead people to compare their lives with others.

This isn't bad advice, but you also don't need a prophet for it.
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

Exiled wrote:I don't see a problem with limiting the time one spends on social media. I see a problem with limiting who has access to these platforms however. Facebook and the other mediums have taken the place of the public square and therefore letting some CEO decide who gets to speak or not is troubling unless there is some other competing outlet for the speech that is prohibited. Perhaps we need to break up these companies?

There are very good reasons to limit or cut back on social media use, especially those media that lead people to compare their lives with others.

This isn't bad advice, but you also don't need a prophet for it.