Utah is No. 1 in the nation in overdose deaths due to meth

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Utah is No. 1 in the nation in overdose deaths due to meth

Post by _I have a question »

"Utahns have a voracious appetite for prescription pills. That is just a fact," Brian Besser, Drug Enforcement Administration assistant special agent in charge, said Thursday. "Drugs that come in a bottle are abused in Utah."

In addition to opioids, methamphetamine, heroin and even a resurgence in cocaine are problems in the Beehive State, he said.

"The methamphetamine epidemic in this state right now is only being eclipsed by the media that is given to the opioid epidemic," Besser said.

Utah is No. 1 in the nation in overdose deaths due to meth, he said.

On top of that, there is now also the problem of drug dealers lacing all of these drugs with fentanyl, he said. And in the schools, marijuana is "rampant."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... demic.html
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Utah is No. 1 in the nation in overdose deaths due to me

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I have a question wrote:Utah is No. 1 in the nation in overdose deaths due to meth, he said.

That's interesting; all the meth addicts I've talked to say it's impossible to overdose on methamphetamine.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr. Shades wrote:
I have a question wrote:Utah is No. 1 in the nation in overdose deaths due to meth, he said.

That's interesting; all the meth addicts I've talked to say it's impossible to overdose on methamphetamine.

WTF?

Meth can kill you. It's a stimulate and can shut you down permanently if you take too much.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Methamphetamine Overdose Death

Methamphetamine abuse reached its pinnacle in 2005. At that time, they said that overdosing had caused almost 4.500 deaths in the US. This is according to a report by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

Addiction Resource
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

It is those terrible Utah license plates that says....elevate Utah. (And all the crap that goes with that in this State!)
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I wonder if self medication via alcohol would actually reduce some of the deaths from meth? Or perhaps at least having a healthier attitude about drug addiction would help. Calling it a sin only adds to the anxiety some addicts must feel and that plus family shunning has to be a heavy contributor to this problem in Utah.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen