On Gloating: The Mopologists Praise Holland's 'Rebuke' of MI

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mikegriffith1
_Emeritus

Re: On Gloating: The Mopologists Praise Holland's 'Rebuke' o

Post by _mikegriffith1 »

Elder Maxwell taught that a person is not really “learned” if they exclude the body of divine data that the eternities place at a person’s disposal through revelation and the prophets of God.

Wow, so Stephen Hawkins isn't 'learned'...What an utterly ridiculous and insulting comment.

You mean Stephen Hawking? No, he was not really learned. He knew a lot of things, but he missed the forest for the trees when he decided that it was not necessary to posit a divine being in the formation of the universe.

Of course, now, in the spirit world, he realizes how wrong he was, but he can't un-write what he wrote.
Mike Griffith
LDS Information Web Page
http://ldsinfo.miketgriffith.com/
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Symm wrote:The line between what god has permitted and what he has forbidden is clear, and everyone can point to it. But at BYU, you can't tell kosher from haram. I went from an 11:00 am biology class where we actually read Darwin to a course called Doctrines of the Gospel at 12:00 where we read excerpts of Joseph Fielding Smith saying the total opposite of everything I had just learned the hour before. I at least knew where I stood on these issues already, but at the same time I couldn't help but think of that scene from Raising Arizona: do I freeze or get on the ground? The only thing to do is just shut up.

Ah yes, you are right. I took biology elsewhere, but I heard of the legendary rival between the JFS building and the natural science building which was actually next door, if I have that right. And I do recall a great deal of variation in how TBM professors would make their classes. I had a phil professor who outright gave his opinion that the story of Job was a bunch of baloney, and the class trashed him in their class reviews for it. My freshman Book of Mormon teacher taught us that if the prophet commands us to kill somebody then we should do it, and be blessed for it. I'm sure he got great reviews. (he actually was entertaining as hell so I probably gave him a great review too)

The most "Stalinist" thing I remember was that they implemented these boxes, kind of like the boxes to put tithing envelopes in, but instead you could rat out other students for honor code violations. Teach them that their principles are correct and let them govern themselves. Kind of interesting.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Mikegriffith1 wrote:You mean Stephen Hawking? No, he was not really learned. He knew a lot of things, but he missed the forest for the trees when he decided that it was not necessary to posit a divine being in the formation of the universe.

You and your false and reprehensible prophet contradict the scriptures. The Book of Mormon states, "But to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God."
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Symm wrote:The line between what god has permitted and what he has forbidden is clear, and everyone can point to it. But at BYU, you can't tell kosher from haram. I went from an 11:00 am biology class where we actually read Darwin to a course called Doctrines of the Gospel at 12:00 where we read excerpts of Joseph Fielding Smith saying the total opposite of everything I had just learned the hour before. I at least knew where I stood on these issues already, but at the same time I couldn't help but think of that scene from Raising Arizona: do I freeze or get on the ground? The only thing to do is just shut up.

Hah, yes. I remember a podcast conversation comparing all the disciplines at BYU and how experts in each had constructed their own end-runs around obstacles to faith. The point was that, if combined, those end-runs would all cancel each other out.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Gadianton wrote:
Mikegriffith1 wrote:You mean Stephen Hawking? No, he was not really learned. He knew a lot of things, but he missed the forest for the trees when he decided that it was not necessary to posit a divine being in the formation of the universe.

You and your false and reprehensible prophet contradict the scriptures. The Book of Mormon states, "But to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God."

Yes, and one does not have to "decide" to leave god out of it, one can just conceive of a way it happens without god and let that speak for itself.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

mikegriffith1 wrote:You mean Stephen Hawking? No, he was not really learned.

At the age of eleven, Stephen went to St. Albans School and then on to University College, Oxford, a constituent college of the University of Oxford.

That was at 11-years-old.

I mean, he only got his PhD in some silly field at 23-years-old, and went on to some guest appearances on The Big Bang Theory, so you're probably right.

He knew a lot of things

:neutral:

, but he missed the forest for the trees when he decided that it was not necessary to posit a divine being in the formation of the universe.

Of course, now, in the spirit world

, he realizes how wrong he was

, but he can't un-write what he wrote.

There's something very peculiar about Mormonism that imbues dull people with a hubris not really seen outside their bubble. It's like they're all, "Hurr hurr, I know what everything is all about. Hurr hurr. These supposedly learned men know so little about the universe. Hurr hurr, I was a great spirit in the pre-existence, and will creates worlds in the next lifetime. Hurr hurr."

Man, it's just fan fiction gone amok.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

mikegriffith1 wrote:
Elder Maxwell taught that a person is not really “learned” if they exclude the body of divine data that the eternities place at a person’s disposal through revelation and the prophets of God.

Wow, so Stephen Hawkins isn't 'learned'...What an utterly ridiculous and insulting comment.

You mean Stephen Hawking? No, he was not really learned. He knew a lot of things, but he missed the forest for the trees when he decided that it was not necessary to posit a divine being in the formation of the universe.

Of course, now, in the spirit world, he realizes how wrong he was, but he can't un-write what he wrote.

An interesting point, mikegriffith. In your opinion, is Brother Hawking able to walk now? Is he a TK smoothie?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Mikegriffith 1:

Where much is given by way of intangible fantasy narrative, much tangible time and money is expected of the noble and great dupes. In exchange, you get to look down upon us with your false sense of superiority, never realizing that you are the one who should be pitied for all the tangible sacrifice you make to support the nonsense narrative.

Sorry, mikegriffith 1, you are the one who needs to correctly humble yourself and realize your mistake. It's hard at first because of the cult peer pressure to remain. It's as if their testimony is based on people staying. Anyway, it gets easier over time. Just keep telling yourself that it may not be true and you will do fine.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

The apostolic rebuke, fully illustrated public scolding, or whatever it was, can now be read and watched here. I hope that Dr. Midgley will post up a storm about it on Dr. Peterson’s blog.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

From Elder Holland's harsh "rebuke":

Elder Holland harshly rebuking the MI wrote:Last, I come with love, appreciation, admiration, and applause for every good thing you have ever done, are now doing, or—as our title suggests—will yet do to seek the truth, build faith, and illuminate the majesty of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. For so much good done by so many for so long and who yet want to do more, I say, “Thank you for the gift of your ‘heart, might, mind and strength.’” One cannot give more.
https://mi.byu.edu/2018-annual-report/

Well, it appears to everyone's surprise that Lou Midgley and Peterson were less than truthful in their descriptions of Elder Holland's "rebuke."

Good grief. Folks, you can't make this stuff up.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014