Grandson of DHO owns vape shop?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Grandson of DHO owns vape shop?

Post by _Maksutov »

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... llin_oaks/

I am a grandson of Dallin Oaks
Hello reddit ExMormons. I have been meaning to make a post here since the last general conference. I am not great at writing down my thoughts so bare with me.

As you read in the title Dallin Oaks is my grandfather. I became inactive in the church when I was 15 years old. I never felt the "spirit". The only thing I ever felt at church was boredom. Refusing to go to church at that age was not easy. It lead to physical and mental abuse. Which further solidified my disdain for the church. I grew emotionally distant from my family because we had nothing in common. At 18 I was kicked out of the house and forced to make it in my own. I am 31 now and have built a great life for myself. I still talk to my parents but get the same go to church. Get sealed in the temple talk every single time.

Growing up with Dallin Oaks was nothing different than my relationship with my other grandpa. He never preached to me. Even though I was the black sheep. He never pulled me aside to try and convince me to go back to church. The only thing he ever said to me was god told him when he was in the temple that I should go to college. That may sound divine. But I own a vape shop. He wants me out that line of business.

After Oaks last general conference talk I am now thinking about getting my records removed. I am furious with him. Two of my best friends are gay. Both of them born and raised Mormon. Luckily they got out of adolescence remotely unscathed by the pressure of the Mormon church. My friends loathe him. I read and listen to the rants from people I don't know pretaining to him. It's just so strange to be so close to him and so far away.

To those that are having a faith crisis just know that you can get out at any time. You are still a good person. Family bonds may or may not heal. You may lose some friends but you will make better ones

Distance yourself from this toxic rhetoric.

I'm not sure if this has a point or not but I just felt like sharing.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: Grandson of DHO owns vape shop?

Post by _candygal »

So loving the honesty...and we may not see it..but I am sure it is still difficult for this man to have to betray a grandfather....betray in meaning a sort of disappointment. I am happy to see that he is a reality of one who sees the importance of being true...fair...and loyal to friends. So amazed. Thank you for this link!!