We have a bisexual, ex-Mormon, BYU alum senator

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

We have a bisexual, ex-Mormon, BYU alum senator

Post by _MsJack »

Jeff Flake's Arizona Senate seat will be filled by Kyrsten Sinema, an ex-Mormon graduate of BYU. Sinema will be the nation's first openly bisexual senator. She has been called "atheist" or "nontheist," but has rejected those terms (according to the Wikipedia entry on her).

I don't believe she's the first ex-Mormon senator as Marco Rubio is technically ex-Mormon, and there have probably been others, but she definitely has an interesting back story.

Grats to Ms. Sinema on her win!

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/66721414 ... enate-seat
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Re: We have a bisexual, ex-Mormon, BYU alum senator

Post by _Craig Paxton »

It's always awesome when an Ex-Mormon-Bi Sexual, BYU Graduate is elected to the Senate.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

She seems to be a pretty remarkable person. Cool that she and I were attending BYU at the same time.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Senator Jeff Flake congratulated Kyrsten Sinema and said he thought she would do a fine job in the seat he is vacating.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Chuck Finley
_Emeritus

Post by _Chuck Finley »

Is the New York Times going to dub this election the beginning of the Ex-Mormon Moment now?
Proud to be the first of the "February Four" expelled from the Ceebooist branch of NeverMormonism.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Wow. Born the same year as me but she graduated BYU early, the same year I started at 18. And her coming out of poverty was an uphill battle.
I stand all impressed!
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

I did vote for Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema for US Senator, but not because she is a fellow ex-Mormon. I voted for he because she is a moderate Democrat who has been a very bipartisan member of Congress. We need more people like Sinema in Congress, and I am very happy that she is now going to be a US Senator.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

An female ex-Mormon bi-sexual graduate from BYU, who is a moderate Democrat, is now a US Senator from a Mormon rich western state and therefore on par politically with Mitt Romney.

Can it get any better than this?
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

DrW wrote:An female ex-Mormon bi-sexual graduate from BYU, who is a moderate Democrat, is now a US Senator from a Mormon rich western state and therefore on par politically with Mitt Romney.

Can it get any better than this?

It's simply amazing. It's providing checks and balances like never seen before. The Mormon church is losing power in their own backyard. Who would have ever thought? Had the citizens of Utah been told 50 years ago about this election they never would have believed it. Had they been told what President NelSatan is doing to the church today they wouldn't have believed that either. NelSatan is causing tremendous damage to the church. What a blessing!