Some Requests for Philo Sofee

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Some Requests for Philo Sofee

Post by _Kishkumen »

The Backyard Professor was one of my favorite YouTube channels. I join the chorus in calling for more TBP videos.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Philo,

I hope you know how fond I was of your old FAIR Conference videos, and I wonder if there is any way you could be persuaded to re-attend and film the goings-on. Or, for that matter, any other Mopologetic public events. The sort of insights your videos provide is truly unparalleled. You can be sure that I will review them if you make them, just as surely as I intend to review Dr. Peterson's "witnesses" film (provided that he ever actually manages to get it done).
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:I wonder if there is any way you could be persuaded to re-attend and film the goings-on.

While that would be fascinating, I wonder how they would react to Kerry. Might they send an intern to rip the camera out of his hands and then claim that Kerry assaulted the grabbing Sister or Elder by holding tightly to his camera?

No matter what, Kerry would handle himself with dignity and aplomb and I suspect some attendees would be tickled to see him again.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

moksha wrote:While that would be fascinating, I wonder how they would react to Kerry. Might they send an intern to rip the camera out of his hands and then claim that Kerry assaulted the grabbing Sister or Elder by holding tightly to his camera?

No matter what, Kerry would handle himself with dignity and aplomb and I suspect some attendees would be tickled to see him again.

That is a real concern. (Hilarious post, by the way.) Mopologists believe they have to control their image. So long as they fall on their faces when they choose to walk, and then edit their own account of it, they feel secure. To have a former colleague, now opponent, like a Philo running around with a camera might be terrifying to them.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I can easily imagine that the apologetic clowns grow tired of having to defend the Book of Abraham. It's the pink elephant in the room with blue polka dots. Not a single General Authority in the history of the church has bothered to tackle any of the main problems connecting the Book of Abraham to conventional Egyptology. Surely the General Authorities must have some degree of fear about what they refuse to admit or talk about on any level of intelligent discussion. Their continual silence is a coward's memorial to the death of the Book of Abraham and the sad state of affairs that awful book has caused to the whole church. It wouldn't surprise me at all if President SataNelson were to finally do away with the Facsimiles with a footnote stating that those were speculative comments given from the men of Nauvoo and should be viewed as thought provoking testimony to the original canonized story.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

It would be utterly fascinating to see which apologists would get in line with Nelson were he to postulate a revelation from Jesus who tells him that the Book of Abraham was a mistake! I would be so interested in seeing what kind of apologetic would come out, and yet, we know already what they would say.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:It would be utterly fascinating to see which apologists would get in line with Nelson were he to postulate a revelation from Jesus who tells him that the Book of Abraham was a mistake! I would be so interested in seeing what kind of apologetic would come out, and yet, we know already what they would say.

I'm a goddamn broken record (I know) but I'll say it again anyway. Facsimile No. 3 is key to hurting the church the most when it comes to the Book of Abraham because it's that glaring light that shines so ever bright in which nobody can in their right mind deny the truth -- not even the apologists. As a former apologist, I had the hardest time with Facsimile No. 3. I was painfully aware that this was the hardest part of the whole thing to defend. You have to deny the light and lie to yourself in order to sweep it under the rug and justify it to be what Joseph Smith claimed.

Everything hangs on Facsimile No. 3 seeing it's front and center and very basic to the whole argument. Even a child can pretty much understand what's going on there and what's not going on there. The elements contained in Facsimile No. 3 provide the perfect recipe to take Joseph Smith down and slam the church for its continued charade in showcasing that garbage to the whole world as divine revelation in their so-called Pearl of Great Price. Mormonism demonstrates its ugliness to the whole world.

I think there is a good chance that President SataNelson or NelSatan may attempt to pull the Facsimiles. Just a hunch.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Shulem wrote:I think there is a good chance that President SataNelson or NelSatan may attempt to pull the Facsimiles. Just a hunch.

I think you are correct. I think the cleansing of the text will begin sometime soon, it has to. It's going to be deeper than rewording the preface of the Book of Mormon.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Pok check your PM's please.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb