The disconnect between announcing temples, and opening them

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

The disconnect between announcing temples, and opening them

Post by _I have a question »

During his closing remarks on Sunday afternoon, Oct. 7, President Russell M. Nelson announced plans to construct 12 new temples and to renovate the Salt Lake Temple as well as other pioneer-era temples.

https://www.ldschurchnews.com/home/2018 ... ence-48212

12 new temple sites were announced in October 2018.
7 new temples were announced in April 2018.

In 2017, only 4 new temples were opened.
In 2016, only 6 were opened.
In 2015, only 5.

The backlog is growing...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Re: The disconnect between announcing temples, and opening t

Post by _Mormonicious »

New Temple announcements are the Curse of Hinckley placed upon the Mormon Corporation.

As you might remember, Monson wanted to stem the announcement of new Temples until all the ones announced or under construction were completed. This lasted for 6 months. During the interim of the announcement and the next conference, the Mormon corporation was inundated with calls from concerned "geezer" members. The geezer members well recall the Hinckley curse where he stated that so long as new Temples were being built, there was no doubt by anyone of the growth of the Mormon corporation religious division. The geezers called the headquarters building of the Mormon corporation concerned that the corporation was in financial trouble, not growing as expected, the leadership had lost its way, etc.

Hence 12 New Temples (Air Warehouses) announced
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Mormonicious wrote:Hence 12 New Temples (Air Warehouses) announced

Puerto Rico? The land is wasted and the church in Puerto Rico is no way ready to host a temple. President Nelson is batty and off his rocker. The church did nothing to help the poor members there prepare for a devastating hurricane which for all intents and purposes wiped the Puerto Ricans out.

Now, Nelson, waltzes in acting like he's some kind of amazing inspired prophet representing the god who wiped out the people he claims to be blessing.

What a joke.
_Maureen
_Emeritus

Post by _Maureen »

The Winnipeg Manitoba Temple was announced April 2011, the ground breaking ceremony happened in December 2016. But construction on the Temple didn't start until June 2018.

M.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who - is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are. - Milton Berle