Dr. Peterson's FAIR Conference Talk

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Dr. Peterson's FAIR Conference Talk

Post by _Gadianton »

symmachus wrote:the blog title itself: it's misspelled (as is a recent blog post on the "Odessey") and mistranslated. A minor philological quibble not worthy of comment

I disagree. This is top ten material in my opinion. a huge deal should be made of it. there are one or two great quotes (from everyone's favorite blog) I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to track down that make this revelation even better.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Symmachus wrote:I hope you can forgive my ignorance here, my dear Doctor Scratch, but what is the 2nd Watson Letter? I've seen this referenced a few times, and while I usually prefer to do my own research, on this one neither Google nor the search function on this site are particularly helpful, and I'm afraid I haven't much time to divert from my work on Nephite linguistics: a three volume project, perhaps more, although, to be honest, I haven't completed any of it, since, much to my critic's delight (I have only one) it consists largely, though not completely, of some notes in manuscript form—really more of a computer file—and the only thing I've been able to give my attention to, since I'm so busy meeting important people in the field and traveling—I'm posting this from the surprisingly crisp shores of an Alpine lake in Switzerland, where I may or may not have served a mission—is comma usage, n-dash deployment, and excessive, if occasionally obsessive, but always pointless hypotactic sentences, with an unhealthy dash of multisyllabic adverbs and, even, exuberantly indulgent self-promotion.

Hamblin disappeared from the blogging scene, as far as I know, after the Jenkins Affair. What a pity. As for John Gee, Forn Spǫll Fira is not very active, certainly not in Mormon apologetics, and its quality is reflected in the blog title itself: it's misspelled (as is a recent blog post on the "Odessey") and mistranslated. A minor philological quibble not worthy of comment, really, except that I do find the misspelling (or perhaps I should write "mispelling") ironic for two reasons: 1) the old FARMSians pride themselves on their mastery of languages, which is one of the main ways that they establish their authority, and 2) Gee in particular portrays himself as a rigorous scholar and writes in that condescending style of people who would never make such sloppy, stupid mistakes. But of course it turns out, as usual, that sloppy, stupid mistakes are an apologetic specialty.

The Old Norse should be "Forn Spjǫll Fira," and it means not "The Ancient Tale of Man" but "Ancient tales of men." It is from the first stanza of the Vǫluspá from the poetic Edda, wherein a female seer addressing Odin recounts the creation of the world and (in one manuscript) its end in the violent cataclysms of Ragnarǫk. When I first saw Gee's blog, I wondered about the title: was this going to be a blog devoted to a new apologetic theory involving the pre-Christian religion of Iceland (perhaps a lost tribe of Israel)? Would "ancient document Mormon scholar" and ethnic Scandinavian Erik Einarson finally get some long-deserved recognition from the employed ancient Mormon document scholars? The only answer to these expansive possibilities was a shrinking disappointment. Its brief posts are mostly links to news stories or other blogposts covering news from antiquity. I guess "Forn Spjǫll Fira" is just supposed to be a way of saying "news about ancient humans." Since the cleverness was bungled, I have to assume we're not supposed to read anything more into it. Of course, why should John Gee know Old Norse at all? It's not his area. But then I have to wonder how any "critic" bold enough to misspell his/her blog with, say, incorrect hieroglyphs would fare at the hands of apologists. Volenti non fit iniuria.

As for Smoot, perhaps I should pay more attention to it. He's more substantive than Peterson—not that he's any more correct in his views—but that means responding to his posts requires a lot more work.

By the way, are you supposed to be the fabled "Malevolent Stalker" or is that the emailer? Stalking is a crime in many states, and if he felt himself the victim of a stalker, he should contact the police. If it doesn't quite rise to that, it's probably not really stalking, and of course if he were ever to attach and publicize a name to this "Malevolent Stalker," whom he claims has been stalking him for years, surely that would be libelous if it weren't true.

Here is the relevant thread, my friend. :cool:

http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3 ... =1&t=11121

Here is the claimed 2nd Watson letter:

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Book ... etter_scan
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

grindael wrote:Here is the relevant thread, my friend. :cool:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11121

Here is the claimed 2nd Watson letter:

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Book ... etter_scan

Thanks Grindael! I would recommend everyone read this thread if they want to see more blatant examples of dishonesty from the DCP and the Mopologists.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Daniel CaughtIntheAct Plagiarist :redface:

Why does he keep doing it over and over again? It is simply baffling and distasteful.

And Greg Smith has had his own problems with plagiarism... :lol: http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3 ... p?p=849444
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

If there are any lurkers out there I strongly suggest clicking on the 2nd Watson Letter link and reading the whole thing. Outside of DarthJ's Book of Mormon in Italy thread it's probably one of the most entertaining threads to have been put together on any Mormon-related discussion forum.

- Derfy Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Does anyone happen to know where I can find the link to Peterson's latest fireside in Canada?

I was told that someone posted the audio online, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Does anyone happen to know where I can find the link to Peterson's latest fireside in Canada?

Thanks
It’s here.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Tom wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Does anyone happen to know where I can find the link to Peterson's latest fireside in Canada?

Thanks
It’s here.

Thanks Tom! Much appreciated.

I'm listening to it now. It's horrible so far. Peterson isn't even trying anymore.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Lemmie wrote:In January of 2018, Peterson again said he 'recognized' his anonymous emailer's characteristic style:

"you and your cult acolytes love the word ‘scientism’. that’s cult-speak… [obscene epithet deleted]."

Now, I recognize this fellow’s characteristic style and his, um, reasoning; he’s been sending me similar messages for a number of years now
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... lytes.html

The problem is, I don't see anything similar between the style of the email above and the two I quoted in my previous post.

I don't doubt Peterson receives his fair share of hate mail, just like anyone else who has an online presence, and I agree it is wrong. When he repeatedly changes the story to take dishonest digs at specific posters, it just makes every succeeding version less and less believable.

So, I was looking for a thread that might discuss Mr. Peterson’s traveling since he bragged today about going to Finland for something, and came across this thread from a little over a year ago.

I want to point out that he and his buddies quite often use the term ‘scientism’, especially when disrespecting Gemli. I think this is a pretty good indicator that Mr. Peterson is making up the snippets he claims are from his hateful email stalker. You know. Thematic indicators and all that.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Here's another example, a recent one, of 'thematic expressions':

Louis Midgley to gemli • 5 days ago

But gemli's atheism is nothing but a dogmatic religion. His dogma is clearly not is not a product of any science, but the worship of science--that is, scientism. Please notice that gemli admits that he is not a "practicing scientist." But he certainly worships science, without having master any science.

Anyone still doubt Mr. Peterson didn't make those quotes up himself? Either that, or The Midge really, really, really hates Dan and has been sending him those nastygrams on the downlow for years. Now that would be funny.

- Doc