One of the risks associated with a home-centred Church....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

One of the risks associated with a home-centred Church....

Post by _I have a question »

In opening the recent Conference, Nelson made this pronouncement.
In recent years, we in the presiding councils of the Church have wrestled with a fundamental question: how can we take the gospel in its simple purity and the ordinances with their eternal efficacy to all of God’s children?

As Latter-day Saints, we have become accustomed to thinking of “church” as something that happens in our meetinghouses, supported by what happens at home. We need an adjustment to this pattern. It is time for a home-centered Church, supported by what takes place inside our branch, ward, and stake buildings.

As the Church continues to expand throughout the world, many members live where we have no chapels—and may not for the foreseeable future. I remember a family who, because of such circumstances, was required to meet in their home. I asked the mother how she liked going to church in her own home. She replied, “I like it! My husband uses better language at home now, knowing that he will bless the sacrament here each Sunday.”

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
If you extrapolate this sentiment, that you can hold 'church' at home without a dependancy on attending a ward regularly, you could end up with quite empty buildings. Maybe that's the objective. Nelson is basically turning it round so that going to Church in a ward building is an optional extra.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: One of the risks associated with a home-centred Church..

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:In opening the recent Conference, Nelson made this pronouncement.
In recent years, we in the presiding councils of the Church have wrestled with a fundamental question: how can we take the gospel in its simple purity and the ordinances with their eternal efficacy to all of God’s children?

As Latter-day Saints, we have become accustomed to thinking of “church” as something that happens in our meetinghouses, supported by what happens at home. We need an adjustment to this pattern. It is time for a home-centered Church, supported by what takes place inside our branch, ward, and stake buildings.

As the Church continues to expand throughout the world, many members live where we have no chapels—and may not for the foreseeable future. I remember a family who, because of such circumstances, was required to meet in their home. I asked the mother how she liked going to church in her own home. She replied, “I like it! My husband uses better language at home now, knowing that he will bless the sacrament here each Sunday.”

https://www.LDS.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
If you extrapolate this sentiment, that you can hold 'church' at home without a dependancy on attending a ward regularly, you could end up with quite empty buildings. Maybe that's the objective. Nelson is basically turning it round so that going to Church in a ward building is an optional extra.

Another way for members to bear more burdens rather than a billion dollar corporation. :cool:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

How long before the warnings about home based Prayer Circles, Gospel Hobbies and Study Groups outside church buildings start once again?
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

SuperDell wrote:How long before the warnings about home based Prayer Circles, Gospel Hobbies and Study Groups outside church buildings start once again?

I’m going to guess it will be mentioned about 4 months after the change is implemented. They will say something about how encouraging it is to hear of obedient members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints following the Covenant Path and finding the New Balance in their Approved Home Gospel Study of the True and Restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and caution against supplementing or researching any home study material from any source not published within the last 40 years by the True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as led by the Prophet of the One and Only True Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, even the Pure and Anointed President Russel M. Nelson, himself.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

One easy way to simplify the Gospel message would be to forget about temples and read the New Testament more-- oops, that's two ways.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

reflexzero wrote:
SuperDell wrote:How long before the warnings about home based Prayer Circles, Gospel Hobbies and Study Groups outside church buildings start once again?

I’m going to guess it will be mentioned about 4 months after the change is implemented. They will say something about how encouraging it is to hear of obedient members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints following the Covenant Path and finding the New Balance in their Approved Home Gospel Study of the True and Restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and caution against supplementing or researching any home study material from any source not published within the last 40 years by the True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as led by the Prophet of the One and Only True Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, even the Pure and Anointed President Russel M. Nelson, himself.

I agree. TSCC will do everything possible to bring correlation right into the home. By it's very nature, the top management or the corporation cannot relinquish any control. That is a slipper slope that leads to independent thinking.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The Church is creating a better environment for budding Denver Snuffers.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')