The latest Temple announcements...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Re: The latest Temple announcements...

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Why not just bus the temple ordinance goers to existing temples once a month, like they do the flocks of people for the open houses before the temples are dedicated? Probably cheaper than trying to build McTemples in the third world. If the 2 hour block is a move to save the cost of building new ward meeting houses, is the savings just going to build more "fancy" temples in the third world? Wait until the conservative, red-state tithe payers figure out that they are having to share their building with more other wards so that their tithe dollars can go to build more temples for third world people? Especially now that the stone has stopped rolling to fill the whole world, that the numbers are stalling.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Holy Ghost wrote:Why not just bus the temple ordinance goers to existing temples once a month, like they do the flocks of people for the open houses before the temples are dedicated? Probably cheaper than trying to build McTemples in the third world. If the 2 hour block is a move to save the cost of building new ward meeting houses, is the savings just going to build more "fancy" temples in the third world? Wait until the conservative, red-state tithe payers figure out that they are having to share their building with more other wards so that their tithe dollars can go to build more temples for third world people? Especially now that the stone has stopped rolling to fill the whole world, that the numbers are stalling.

For the members, temples are the physical manifestation of where their money goes. If you remove a new Temples programme you then have members wondering where their money goes, and there isn't a good answer. But the Church only wants to give the impression of spending huge dollops of money on these ornate edifices. That's why there are far more announced than get built. It's simply marketing spend to keep the members handing over their cash, the bulk of which goes on things other than temples and charity.

Berni Madoff paid some investors a return on their investment, to give the impression it was a legitimate scheme. Temples seem to me to be something similar.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

I have a question wrote:For the members, temples are the physical manifestation of where their money goes. If you remove a new Temples programme you then have members wondering where their money goes, and there isn't a good answer. But the Church only wants to give the impression of spending huge dollops of money on these ornate edifices. That's why there are far more announced than get built.

And the ornateness of these pricey edifices must not be necessary. Joseph Smith performed these ordinances and sealings in other places, before the Nauvoo temple was completed. Temples are simply not necessary. They are grandiose expenditures to project an image.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Holy Ghost wrote:
I have a question wrote:For the members, temples are the physical manifestation of where their money goes. If you remove a new Temples programme you then have members wondering where their money goes, and there isn't a good answer. But the Church only wants to give the impression of spending huge dollops of money on these ornate edifices. That's why there are far more announced than get built.

And the ornateness of these pricey edifices must not be necessary. Joseph Smith performed these ordinances and sealings in other places, before the Nauvoo temple was completed. Temples are simply not necessary. They are grandiose expenditures to project an image.

1+ they'll probably figure this out in another 50-100 years.
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

Holy Ghost wrote:Temples are simply not necessary. They are grandiose expenditures to project an image.

I wonder if they are headed down the Scientology path. They have nice buildings that sit unused most of the time, but if a visit is scheduled people show up to make them look busy.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

The temple in Cambodia strikes me as odd. I realize it’s anecdotal, but a relative of mine served there not too long ago, and converted exactly zero people in two years. That didn’t make it sound like a hotbed of growth.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

krose wrote:
Holy Ghost wrote:Temples are simply not necessary. They are grandiose expenditures to project an image.

I wonder if they are headed down the Scientology path. They have nice buildings that sit unused most of the time, but if a visit is scheduled people show up to make them look busy.

The Church already does this. For the open houses of the Paris temple, Stakes around Europe within a days driving distance, were pressured into sending coach loads of members to them. At the members own expense.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')