Friendship

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Friendship

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

And by the power of friendship ye may know the truth of all things.

Cults provide many kinds of ‘‘direct rewards’’ to their members. Positive incentives include success in careers, a community of friends, self-development, religious experience, personal identity, heightened self esteem, knowledge that provides a sense of control over one’s life, improvement in health and happiness and a decrease in alcohol and drug use upon joining (Aldridge 2007; Dawson 2007; Galanter et al. 1980; Galanter et al. 1979; Galanter 1980, 1983, 1989; Levine 1989; Ross 1983; Rothbaum 1988; Weiss and Mendoza 1990)... Friendships made during membership are considered a fundamental aspect of remaining in the group (Boeri 2002; Dawson 2007; Lofland and Skonovd 1981b; Long and Hadden 1983; Wright 1984).

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... 010.548302

So the LDS church doesn't really need the Holy Ghost.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: Friendship

Post by _Meadowchik »

Community is powerful. For many people who are in it or who give it a try, Mormonism is a very tight system of Instafriends. I did a topic on it a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48513&p=1111726

In one moment, a new move-in to a Mormon ward can communicate their credentials:

"Hi, I'm Lehi Johansen, this is my wife, Jessica, and our kids Joseph, Natalie, Taylor, Mahonri, and Elisabeth. " The males have white shirts and ties, the females have white tees and jumpers, everyone is clean-shaven, scriptures inhome-sewn scripture satchels in hand.
This gesture occurs in a matter of seconds, but effects passage of these would-be strangers through the barrier. They are on the other side, they are part of the ward, family members to be congealed into pre-determined roles in the group superorganism.