The tithing scam - a religious test that fails

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

The tithing scam - a religious test that fails

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I know this is a quote from up in the celestial part of the boards, but I am thinking of a terrestrial approach to this because I am so skeptical of this faith promoting story, but not without reason.

George Q. Cannon
Consider President George Q. Cannon’s approach to tithing when he was an impoverished young man. When his bishop commented on the large amount of tithing poor young George was paying, George said something like: “Oh bishop, I’m not paying tithing on what I make. I’m paying tithing on what I want to make.” And the very next year George earned exactly the amount of money he had paid tithing on the year before!"

O.K., first off, can we not at least put our thinking caps on for a little bit? IF, and oh my good gawd this is a gigantic IF! If this had really happened, why did not Cannon continue with it to ever greater levels with unstinted success, so as to demonstrate conclusively this was not a mere statistical anomaly happening to him for one year?

And... if it really is true that this is what works out, then my dad WOULD HAVE BEEN A MILLIONAIRE. It never happened, not even close. My dad was always so overly generous his own accountant who was good tithing paying temple attending LDS asked him if he was sure he wanted to give that much to the church.

It is stupid bull hockey stories like this that make me distrust what is said from the church. That it keeps getting repeated convinces me they have nothing but falseness in their hearts. The real question is, why hasn't this happened to everyone who pays tithing??? I know several people (because they have told me that's HOW) that they pay more on tithing than on anything else. Do they get recompensed by the Lord financially? Not a wee little bit of it man. Oh yes, they see the "blessings of the Lord" in other ways, which are so contrived and ad hoc as to make you cry for them.

Why did it merely happen to one man, and for one time, and then over 100 years previously? No, I don't buy this for even a moment. It is a religious scam legalized is all it is. These kind of stories really, really, really, REALLY, and I am serious, REALLY need to just stop. These days, with total lack of any kind of evidence whatsoever, the church is far more harmed than helped when they allow this kind of tripe to reign on the internet. Just my two cents.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."