Is Artificial Intelligence Compatible with Mormonism?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Is Artificial Intelligence Compatible with Mormonism?

Post by _Philo Sofee »

https://hackernoon.com/how-to-settle-an ... e8f939e8e4

Saw this on AI, and it caused me to wonder... (It's a terrific article as to what it would take for AI to actually occur - at least I think so, but I am not all that brainy about AI)

Would Mormonism go along with AI? Is it against religion to create life, even if artificually? I mean, in some sense isn't our lives artificial? Might make for some interesting discussion.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Is Artificial Intelligence Compatible with Mormonism?

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Hi Philo. I’m puzzled by our lives being artificial in some sense. Would you mind unpacking that?
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

since the point of the article is that AI is impossible to define, and since we know modern Mormonism has become impossible to define, then that's not an easy question to answer.

Well, I'd guess AI is far more compatible with Mormonism than evolution is.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

It seems similar. The Mormon God's purpose is supposedly to make spirit babies to then grow into spirit adults, and then go into bodies here, in order to be subject to the Mormon God. Artificial intelligence creation housed inside a robot/humanoid seems to be very close to the above. Now, just put the robot/humanoids on some distant planet, disappear, and go back every once in a while and give nonsensical commandments to the robots so you can feel superior when they disobey.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Could this so-called "Artifical Intelligence" be programmed to obey and pledge to pay at least 10% of all income to the Church?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

moksha wrote:Could this so-called "Artifical Intelligence" be programmed to obey and pledge to pay at least 10% of all income to the Church?

Ding, ding, ding!

All we need is sufficient utility, and we can expect a revelation that our Heavenly Parents have made spiritual offspring in the
Pre-Existence, who have been reserved to be housed in artificial bodies.
_mikegriffith1
_Emeritus

Post by _mikegriffith1 »

AI is absolutely compatible with Mormonism. AI will never reach the status and composition of a person.
Mike Griffith
LDS Information Web Page
http://ldsinfo.miketgriffith.com/
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

mikegriffith1 wrote:AI is absolutely compatible with Mormonism. AI will never reach the status and composition of a person.

Too true, and that dovetails nicely with the castes in Mormonism, current and eternal.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Mike wrote:AI will never reach the status and composition of a person.

Why?

I'm not saying I believe we will create sentient computers, but I'm curious as to why you are so sure we won't. Dare I guess that you're invoking JFS "We'll never get to the moon!" reasoning?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.