Why Church History Will Never Be Accurate Historically

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Why Church History Will Never Be Accurate Historically

Post by _Philo Sofee »

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2017/02/understanding-church-history-by-study-and-faith?lang=eng
Every day, archivists, librarians, and historians in the Church History Library collect, preserve, and share records of the past that help us discern God’s hand in the Church’s history and in our individual lives.

No wonder it is so one sided. If all you care about is confirming your belief, then of course, you won't actually care about what the historical records indicate. Of course, we have said this for years, I just was looking something up and got this article on my screen. Is the study of history supposed to be trying to see God's hand, or in learning what actually did happen and how people actually did react? Granted Paul Dunn was popular, but, well, his history confabulation was his downfall because he practiced this attitude. Right?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Re: Why Church History Will Never Be Accurate Historically

Post by _deacon blues »

This is the paradox that will continually face the Church. If they present the complete, balanced, unvarnished truth, they will lose more people than if they leave out a little here, and embellish a little there. So, in the desire to do good and/or build the kingdom they compromise their honesty and convince themselves they're doing what God wants. They actually show less faith in God by doing this, than if they presented reality and trusted God to "do what is right [and] let the consequence follow."
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

deacon blues wrote:This is the paradox that will continually face the Church. If they present the complete, balanced, unvarnished truth, they will lose more people than if they leave out a little here, and embellish a little there. So, in the desire to do good and/or build the kingdom they compromise their honesty and convince themselves they're doing what God wants. They actually show less faith in God by doing this, than if they presented reality and trusted God to "do what is right [and] let the consequence follow."

Voof. This is spot on. I was checking out a nextdoor.com thread where people were discussing some guy who dresses in all white and stands silently on the corner of Temple Square. There was the inevitable back and forth about the Mormon church and one person claimed the Church does a massive amount of good throughout the world, charity wise. One person attempted to fact check the claim by posting some links to other churches and how much charity work they do in terms of dollars, but people were unphased and kept repeating the original claim. I suppose it's a win for the Church because they've convinced their base that they are a sort of flagship charitable enterprise.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_slskipper
_Emeritus

Post by _slskipper »

They are trying to prove that God intervenes in the lives of those who believe in him. This becomes very problematic if in fact there is no god in which to believe.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

slskipper wrote:They are trying to prove that God intervenes in the lives of those who believe in him. This becomes very problematic if in fact there is no god in which to believe.

Worse still is if the God they believe never shows up nor does what they testify he used to do anciently.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."