Peterson Demonstrates Why Mormonism is Stupid

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Peterson Demonstrates Why Mormonism is Stupid

Post by _Philo Sofee »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... -home.html

Pure unadulterated BULL PUCKY. This earth is the ONLY home we have, and we need to take care of it. It is this apathy in lieu of some make believe future home in heaven that makes Mormons so suspect in so many ways. If WE don't care for our planet who will? If earth isn't Peterson's home, then my encouragement is GO HOME! And that moron Hafen can go with him.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Re: Peterson Demonstrates Why Mormonism is Stupid

Post by _cinepro »

Just so I'm clear, are you suggesting Peterson posted that quote as an argument against needing to take care of the planet?
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Did you notice this from the OP link?

I have no idea at all whether this is true. But I hope it is:

“Online Missions Announced”

From that link:

This news was leaked accidentally as some of the first callings arrived early before the announcement. Already we know young men are receiving callings for the Fortnite, PS4, Call of Duty, Youtube, Facebook, and Twitch missions. More are expected to be coming soon.

:lol:
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Lemmie wrote:Did you notice this from the opening post link?

I have no idea at all whether this is true. But I hope it is:

“Online Missions Announced”

From that link:

This news was leaked accidentally as some of the first callings arrived early before the announcement. Already we know young men are receiving callings for the Fortnite, PS4, Call of Duty, Youtube, Facebook, and Twitch missions. More are expected to be coming soon.

All I can say is . . . W.O.W.!

"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2018/09/this-earth-is-not-our-home.html

Pure unadulterated BULL PUCKY. This earth is the ONLY home we have, and we need to take care of it. It is this apathy in lieu of some make believe future home in heaven that makes Mormons so suspect in so many ways. If WE don't care for our planet who will? If earth isn't Peterson's home, then my encouragement is GO HOME! And that moron Hafen can go with him.

I’m going to take issue with the title of this thread. Peterson demonstrates why his concept of Mormonism is deeply flawed. He does so over and over again. Mormonism itself is a more nebulous thing. It can be very compatible with environmentalism and communitarianism. Admittedly, the predominant group representing the religion these days is practicing and promulgating a deeply problematic version of Mormonism. Does that make Mormonism stupid? Seems kind of harsh to me. I can imagine much better possibilities for Mormonism than we see now.

Now, stupid, in my view, is this:

If you’re not really aware of the fact, yet, that serious religious believers are “strangers and pilgrims” in contemporary society — or, as the prominent Protestant theologian, ethicist, and public intellectual Stanley Hauerwas, long associated with Duke University, has labeled modern Christians, “resident aliens” — consider this:

“Breaking news: Brett Kavanaugh uses the V-word, which used to be OK for Catholics”

It may well be that deeply conservative church goers are increasingly estranged from mainstream society, but most Americans still believe in a god of some kind. Most still identify as spiritual people. I doubt they feel as alienated as Peterson claims. But I think Peterson really only cares about the deeply conservative theists who belong to a traditional church, when you get down to it.

Additionally, the blog post Peterson links is stoooopid. No one would care if Kavanaugh had been an actual virgin in high school and college as he claims. The problem with his claim is that it lacks a single shred of credibility. That is why it is ridiculed. Here is a guy who got stumbling and puking drunk on a regular basis, partied a lot, bragged about all kinds of sex in his yearbook, etc. The idea that his shady sexual history in high school and college is made up is ludicrous. We make fun of party boys who lie about their former virtue. This guy is a complete phony.

Maybe he did clean up later. It would be unclear to me exactly when that happened. Judge Kozinski, who left the bench in disgrace over his lewdness toward clerks and others, said he was almost as intimate with Kavanaugh as he would be with a wife. No way that Kavanaugh was ignorant of Kozinski’s shenanigans and no way he kept his nose clean in that camaraderie. Perverts like Kozinski only truly feel close to other perverts. My money is on Kavanaugh being one.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

All the sites Petersen suggests are National Review sites a very conservative site.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... content=48

He then argues that he has been the object of harsh, untrue attacks
"I am, perhaps, slightly senistive on this subject, personally. In a very much smaller but still quite public way, I myself have been smeared on a weekly if not daily basis for at least a decade, and possibly for more than a decade and a half, rather systematically, by two or three or maybe four anonymous people on the internet. I’ve been accused, entirely baselessly, of anti-Semitism, fraud, academic incompetence, sadism, racial bigotry, sympathies for fascism, voyeurism, deliberately destroying the careers of others, philistinism, consciously wrecking families, poor literary taste, ignorance, misogyny, mercenary greed, tendencies to violence, malice, and . . . well, the list goes on and on and on. My appearance has been ridiculed. IRS records have been combed through to find financial evidence that might be used to make me look bad. A joke that I made while living in Israel as an unmarried student back in early 1978 was trotted out, having been located on an obscure blog of which I’d never heard, in a bid to depict me as despising Jews. Even a very young son’s Christmas wish list from years ago was extracted from Amazon.com and abused in order to portray me as a bad father. I know something of what it’s like to be the target of unjustifiable abuse fundamentally stemming from the public positions I have advocated, pretty much entirely in connection with my religious faith. I receive anonymous and often obscene hate mail every week, and often several times a week, and have done so for many years now. On two occasions, I’ve had police officers in my house looking at overt threats of violence"
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"