Have your Temple Recommend Interview

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Have your Temple Recommend Interview

Post by _I have a question »

Welcome to your online Temple Recommend interview - open to members, ex-members and non-members alike.
Just quote this initial post, add in your truthful answers (unlike during your actual recommend interview) and we'll see how everyone gets on.
1 Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?

2 Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Christ and of His role as Savior and Redeemer?

3 Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?

4 Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?

5 Do you live the law of chastity?

6 Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?

7 Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

8 Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?

9 Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?

10 Are you a full-tithe payer?

11 Do your keep the Word of Wisdom?

12 Do you have financial or other obligations to a former spouse or children? If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?

13 If you have previously received your temple endowment:

Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple?

Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?

14 Have there been any sins or misdeeds in your life that should have been resolved with priesthood authorities but have not been?

15 Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Have your Temple Recommend Interview

Post by _I have a question »

I'll go first..

1 Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?
I can see no difference between having faith in these entities and wishful thinking, consultation with a Magic 8 Ball, confirmation bias etc.

2 Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Christ and of His role as Savior and Redeemer?
No, because the whole 'Atonement' thing doesn't make any kind of sense beyond wishful thinking.

3 Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?
No, all the evidence points to it being a 19th century product made up by Joseph Smith and a small collection of others. And the Church of today bears no resemblance to the Church/Gospel as advocated by Joseph Smith.

4 Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?
:lol:
My local Bishop is a pretty good man, but I don't sustain the institution he volunteers for.

I live the law of fidelity to my spouse.

6 Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?
My conduct towards my family and extended family is better than the Church would advocate it to be. I put my family and their well being before the Church and its teachings/institutional attitude towards people who are gay, single, unmarried, non misogynist, non member, ex member etc.

7 Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
Yes. Because there are a number of Church teachings and practices that do not belong in a civilised community of human beings.

8 Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?
What other meetings have I covenanted to attend? <crickets> So, your question is spurious. I live my life in harmony with my own personal conscience, not the dictates of 15 blokes who live in a bubble over in Utah. And I'm happy to stand before anybody's God, look them in they eye and account for my decisions and actions, as opposed to whether or not I abdicated my decision making to those aforementioned 15 men.

Absolutely. Is the Church? <crickets>

Yes, but my tithing doesn't pass through the hands of the Church where it disappears behind public scrutiny. I decide in who's hands it ends up.

Can you explain what you mean, specifically, by the word of wisdom and where one might find its parameters? <crickets> I have coffee flavoured milk, a bit like Elder Holland, only mine is liquid rather than frozen. So if Jeff keeps the word of wisdom, so do I.

12 Do you have financial or other obligations to a former spouse or children? If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?
I do. Does the Church meet its moral financial obligations to the members who donate the funds? <crickets>

As far as I am aware, nobody does. See Law Of Consecration. In which case you aren't worthy to ask me this question and no member should be visiting the temple.

Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?
No.

14 Have there been any sins or misdeeds in your life that should have been resolved with priesthood authorities but have not been?
Have their been any sins or misdeeds by Priesthood Authorities that have not been resolved, but instead have been covered up? <crickets>

15 Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?
Yes, but temples aren't the Lords house. The Lords house would be full of the poor and the needy, the sick and the infirm; rather than expensive chandeliers, plush carpets, ornate windows etc.

How did I do?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

I have a question wrote:How did I do?

As well as anyone could - and surely better than most temple attendees.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I have a question wrote:1 Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?

No, however I'm open to the possibility this is a simulation and we're experiencing something along the lines of Roy from Rick & Morty because why not? Watch the small video clip to understand the Simulation Theory in less than three minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzVlQ653as

Nothing beyond the whole thing being an incredibly nuanced allegory for the human experience.

Sure. My testimony is that's it patently false, and a crass evolving religion that takes advantage of believers (and most importantly their money and time).

Nope.

Actually, I think I do. I'm faithful in mind, heart, and deed to my wife. Then again my testosterone has completely abandoned me so I think it's probably easier to be chaste when my nuts aren't betraying me every time a skirt walks by.

I don't know what that means, but I have a really solid relationship with my wife and kids. I'm pleasantly surprised at how happy and decent we are toward one another.

Yes. I associate with realists.

Nah. That question really is just a compliance test to ensure you stay brainwashed and subservient to the Church.

I'm probably too honest and expect the same. That doesn't seem to work for most people.

I happily pay my taxes which makes me a 3 x tithe payer.

Heck no! Coffee and cigars will be the death of me.

“F”. NO. That yolk has been removed.

No, and if any Danites show up they gon' get rolled up like McGregor did boxing Mayweather.

It's glorious to say those fugly ridiculous things will never come into contact with me ever again!

No, because why would I involve people who have no formal training nor accreditation with my mental, emotional, or physical well being? That's utterly irresponsible.

I don't consider whatever the LDS version of deity worthy of my company and I have no desire to go near one of those Marriott centers again.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

Hi Bishop I Have a Question!

Unfortunately, I failed on all questions except for the financial one and the one about being able to go into the Temple. I feel worthy.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I have a question wrote:Welcome to your online Temple Recommend interview - open to members, ex-members and non-members alike.
Just quote this initial post, add in your truthful answers (unlike during your actual recommend interview) and we'll see how everyone gets on.

No. I don't believe they exist..

No.

No. I do not believe in the "gospel" or that it was restored or that we are in the "latter days"

No. I do not believe that prophets, seers, or revelators exist.

None of your goddam business.

Yes. I do not believe my possession of a Y chromosome gives me any god-given authority over my spouse or children.

Yes. Too many to list. Starting with IHAQ.

No. I do my best to be a decent sentient bit of carbon.

Mostly.

Hell no.

No. I returned it decades ago.

No.

I don't recall all of them. As they were obtained under false pretenses, I do not consider them binding in any way. If I do keep any, it's sheerly coincidental.

I would not wear it in a house. I would not wear it with a mouse.
I would not wear it here or there. I would not wear in anywhere.

To the extent that I have harmed others, I will resolve that with those I have harmed. I do not recognize any priesthood authority.

I have no desire to participate in temple ordinances. Your notion of "worthiness" is not relevant to me.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

I have a question wrote:Welcome to your online Temple Recommend interview - open to members, ex-members and non-members alike.

It depends, how do you define God?

Savior of what?

You keep asking the same s****.

It's the same s****.

I doubt Heavenly Father cares about our sex life.

No.

I sometimes agree with posters on mormondicussions, but I think for myself.

I do good. Next question.

It depends on the situation.

Yes, I made my first payment this year about 30 minutes ago. You know, so I could get the recommend.

Yes

No.

I don't recall.

Yes.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Thank you for including Nevers, Bishop Ihaq! I'll have a quick go at this.

I have a question wrote:1 Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?

Yes, I do.

Yes, I do.

No, because I think that the restoration was a false narrative developed by the Prophet Joseph Smith. Pretty sure I'm not heading to the temple any time soon, right?

No. I don't need any of those folks. I have Jesus as intercessor to God the way it's described in the Bible.

That's none of your business, buddy. What a skeevy question to ask a woman. Creeper.

That, too, is none of your darn business. You're interviewing me, not my family. Buzz off with that.

Yep. I affiliate with a boatload of people from all walks of life and persuasions, in real life and also interact with a diverse collection of anonymous cowards on MDB who have all sorts of religious affiliations, no religion at all, all kinds of ways of living and world views. The Lord created a massive variety of unique and unrepeatable people. I enjoy them all. I hang out with the same mix of people that Jesus did. What the heck do you care who I affiliate with?

I don't need meetings to do any of that. I meet with Jesus.

Yes. That doesn't count people who are trying to BS me. I'll usually BS them right back just for the fun of it. Fire with fire.

Not to a church. I donate to a variety of causes and people, donating money and investing my time with them when I see a need before me that I can possibly help with. Like lately (and you'll never believe this) I've been donating my time and attention to a child advocacy movement on an LDS related message board. Internet stuff. Not joking.

No and you probably don't either so bite me.

I don't owe anyone anything. I don't even owe you an answer to this question.

I didn't make covenants in the temple. Jesus Christ taught his covenants in the street and baptized in rivers. I don't go to the temple. I go to the woods and the ocean, and watch the night sky. You know, the stuff he is reported to have created. Look it up. It's in the Book.

Are you seriously asking a married woman what kind of under clothing she wears? I got a Jersey Boy over here who'd kick your butt for asking stuff like that. Stop asking me weird stuff. That's not even close to healthy.

How is that your business? I lay my sins directly at the feet of the Savior.

I consider myself worthy to enter any house or establishment in the world. I don't participate in temple ordinances. I think they're basically Woo. I don't do Woo unless it's Potter related. by the way, I was sorted into Ravenclaw. Thanks for asking!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I BELIEVE SANTA CLAUSE COMES EVERY YEAR

SORRY, I DON'T DRINK BLOOD AND WORSHIP THE DEAD

I HAVE A TESTIMONY IT'S A CULT

LOCK THEM UP!

MY MONKEY KNOWS NO RULES.

I SPANK MY MONKEY TOO MUCH?

IT'S THE WORLD AGAINST THE CULT

I BROKE ALL MY COVENANTS, SLEEP IN ON SUNDAYS, AND AM A LAW UNTO MYSELF

I TELL THEM WHAT I THINK

I ROB GOD WITH EVERY PAYCHECK

GULP.

WHAT'S IT TO YOU?

I MOCK THE TEMPLE REGULARLY

I THREW MY JESUS JAMMIES IN THE TRASH

WHAT DO YOU CARE ABOUT MY MONKEY?

I SELL MY TOKENS AND SIGNS FOR MONEY.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Shulem wrote:I SELL MY TOKENS AND SIGNS FOR MONEY.

How much? Where did this deal go down?