The Weasel, Cook & "Primary Sources"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Re: mentalgymnast, Cook & "Primary Sources"

Post by _SuperDell »

Per LDS,inc Satan is the author of All Lies.

Satan, per the Temple, is The God of This World.

LDS,inc is still lying in this new history book series.

Who is it they are really praying to?
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Tator
_Emeritus

Re: The Weasel, Cook & "Primary Sources"

Post by _Tator »

I have always referred to the Weasel as a rat spreading his rat feces and urine dribbling trail of filth through this board, but I'm okay with Weasel from here on out.

Great work, Grindael, as usual.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

One of the "primary" sources for 'historical' reference used in "Saints" is Dallin H. Oaks.
Oaks, “Suppression of the Nauvoo Expositor,” 862–903
(Footnote 37)
https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/conte ... c-nuisance

I guess he must be a lot older than he looks....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

I read Chapter 43 of the new history- "Saints: Standard of Truth" and I felt that the fact that the footnotes (#5, 12-18) referred so frequently to one source- "Nauvoo Conspiracy" by Cummings regarding the supposed conspiracy by William Law to take Joseph's life, to be suspect. The Cummings article itself was written forty years after the event, and Cummings himself would be what I understand to be a "hearsay" witness; that is he didn't experience the events himself, but only recorded others recollections of them. There is no first person verification of what Cummings wrote.

There is a Nauvoo Interpreter article Jeffrey Bradshaw that suggests Brian Hales among others promotes this account. See: "There's a Boy I Can Trust" by Jeffrey Bradshaw.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: The Weasel, Cook & "Primary Sources"

Post by _Lemmie »

The weasel hasn't always been so gung-ho about primary sources:
mentalgymnast wrote:We need to look carefully at whether or not our sources can be trusted and also whether other sources may rely upon an undependable primary source or sources.

viewtopic.php?p=483554#p483554

You'll note this post came from a thread where this exchange was posted:
schreech wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:Have you read it?

Regards,
MG

Yes, now, will you provide us with examples of inaccurate information in the book or are you going to continue to dodge the (multiple) requests?

mentalgymnast wrote:I've already made it very clear that I haven't read it. You have. You should then be able to carry out the assignment that I gave to you earlier....

schreech wrote:Here, just copy and paste this instead of continuing to dodge the question:

"I don't have any examples of inaccuracies from that book and, because of my devotion to the the LDS church and Joseph Smith (in particular), i feel that i need to attack the book and its author even though i have not read it...."

Simple as that....

:lol: the weasel in a nutshell....
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

It's clear that mentalgymnasts' definition of "Primary sources" is - things he thinks he remembers from Primary.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')