Mission Stories

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Mission Stories

Post by _moksha »

Are there a lot of online missionary journals from former RMs?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

moksha wrote:Are there a lot of online missionary journals from former RMs?

No.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Chuck Finley
_Emeritus

Post by _Chuck Finley »

Xenophon wrote:
SteelHead wrote:Maybe I'll tell the tale of how our judo instructor ward mission leader hog tied a drunk guy with neck ties and then we cast demons out of him..........
I'd like to officially cast my vote that you SHOULD tell this story.

I second!
Proud to be the first of the "February Four" expelled from the Ceebooist branch of NeverMormonism.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

When I get some time.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Post by _moinmoin »

My mom and dad arrived on Monday on their mission in the Czech Republic. A couple of years ago, they served as the mission secretary/mission finance clerk/Warsaw branch presidency member couple. This time around, my dad is serving the whole time as the branch president in Liberic (half hour from Poland, an hour from the Freiberg temple). It will be interesting to see how many people speak German, as Liberic is right in the Sudetenland in Bohemia. He is learning Czech (he'll have to, as branch president), and maybe his Polish will help. Or be just different enough to make it difficult.

http://gregevelynczechout.blogspot.com/

I've asked them to bring me an old Communist era Book of Mormon. We had them in Germany, but I never thought to bring one home. They were small, red with red gilded pages, and all it said on the front cover was KM. Knieha Mormona is Book of Mormon, but it could also be taken to mean . . . Karl Marx. :smile:
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

moinmoin wrote:My mom and dad arrived on Monday on their mission in the Czech Republic. A couple of years ago, they served as the mission secretary/mission finance clerk/Warsaw branch presidency member couple. This time around, my dad is serving the whole time as the branch president in Liberic (half hour from Poland, an hour from the Freiberg temple). It will be interesting to see how many people speak German, as Liberic is right in the Sudetenland in Bohemia. He is learning Czech (he'll have to, as branch president), and maybe his Polish will help. Or be just different enough to make it difficult.

http://gregevelynczechout.blogspot.com/

I've asked them to bring me an old Communist era Book of Mormon. We had them in Germany, but I never thought to bring one home. They were small, red with red gilded pages, and all it said on the front cover was KM. Knieha Mormona is Book of Mormon, but it could also be taken to mean . . . Karl Marx. :smile:

Was the front cover a misprint? (Should be ‘kniha’)
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

President Pilka then said that the wards and branches are doing extremely well, with one exception. The Liberec branch in the far northern mountains of the Czech Republic. Up until 2016 it was one of the strongest branches in this wonderful country. It has about 70 total members and approximately 50 of them were active in the church. They were led by President Henrik Hanzel for about 10 years but he was called as a counselor to President Pilka when the new stake was formed. The void left by the departure of President Hanzel from the branch has never been filled. The branch activity has declined dramatically over the past 24 months to where only 15-20 members currently show up to church each Sunday. The current branch president only comes to church every other week or sometimes misses two weeks in a row. He has been the only person who collects tithing and sometimes the record keeping hasn't been very good.

http://gregevelynczechout.blogspot.com

Long story short, Elder Jones was extended the calling of branch president in the Liberec branch. He will be sustained this Sunday and, along with Sister Jones, and the help of the two faithful missionaries in Liberec, will go about the task of reactivating and rebuilding the floundering branch. President Pilka told us that the Stake Presidency and Mission Presidency have been praying for an answer to their dilemma in Liberec and knew that the Lord answered their prayers when the mission president shared our mission application biography information with him.

Shades, please can we have a facepalm emoticon?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Post by _moinmoin »

I have a question wrote:Was the front cover a misprint? (Should be ‘kniha’)

I was going off of memory. One letter off ain't bad . . . :wink: I think book in Polish is ksiega, or something.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

I feel very fortunate that my son is not eligible to serve a full time mission, because of his Aspergers. I think that the church has been prudent here. My son is obedient to a fault and will be 18 soon and I think at this point that a FT mission would be dangerous for him. So I'm glad that choice has been made for him. Although I'm still a little sad that the choice has been made for him.

Feelings are complicated.

Anyways: Although he is eligible for a service mission from home, you may consider this the shortest mission story so far.
_Chuck Finley
_Emeritus

Post by _Chuck Finley »

Meadowchik wrote:Anyways: Although he is eligible for a service mission from home, you may consider this the shortest mission story so far.

I am unfamiliar with the concept of a service mission from home. Care to elaborate? (Anyone else, feel free to jump in and enlighten me. I don’t see such contributions to a conversation as rude interjections)
Proud to be the first of the "February Four" expelled from the Ceebooist branch of NeverMormonism.