The Deep Church?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: The Deep Church?

Post by _RockSlider »

Kirton McConkie
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

RockSlider wrote:Kirton McConkie

So KM is the glue holding the lid on all the corruption especially in the sex abuse area, protecting the church and leaders against any threat the church leaders might be held responsible and outed for letting predators do their unthinkable deeds. KM lawyers go to lawyers for a victim/ survivor and ask " do you really want to spend $10s of millions to get "justice" because we ( the church) are" - settlement with non-disclosures usually follow.

Yep KM is deep into keeping the lid on bad news anout the church seeing the light of day. I would love to see the billing invoices and retainer the church pays KM every ear- my guess $25 Million- I think they handle all aspects of legal for the church- intellectual propety, lawsuits, property acquisition/litigation,etc -one stop deep state shop.

k
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Duplicate- sorry!

k
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Fascinating question. I would venture to say that there are structures in the LDS Church that exercise significant power in ways that put the lie to the simplistic view that the Q15 are “in charge.” The Presiding Bishop is immensely consequential on the financial and operational side of things, for example. And, as we are well aware from past experience, determined individual apostles can wage orthodoxy wars with little oversight or interference. The Deep State is now a conspiracist’s term, however. It both points to and then misdirects from the complexities in any large system that constrain any individual within the system. In the LDS Church, those constrained include the Q15. It is right to ponder about the structural and logistical constraints on their power, but it is misleading to suppose that a secret center of power is truly in control.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Kish,

That's interesting and a little thing that I noticed is that for years someone has been downloading material to archive.org. Like old church magazines, many of them kind of embarrassing for the racial material in them. Many of the old "anti-Mormon" books from the 19th century. And I was surprised when I saw it was the Office of the Presiding Bishop. I'm not sure the Q15 might have been ok with some of that.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

grindael wrote:Kish,

That's interesting and a little thing that I noticed is that for years someone has been downloading material to archive.org. Like old church magazines, many of them kind of embarrassing for the racial material in them. Many of the old "anti-Mormon" books from the 19th century. And I was surprised when I saw it was the Office of the Presiding Bishop. I'm not sure the Q15 might have been ok with some of that.

That is curious! The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

grindael wrote:Kish,

That is curious. I had also noticed a great deal of Mormon themed material on archive.org, more than I would have expected. I had never looked into who uploading material to the archive.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Kishkumen wrote:Fascinating question. I would venture to say that there are structures in the LDS Church that exercise significant power in ways that put the lie to the simplistic view that the Q15 are “in charge.” The Presiding Bishop is immensely consequential on the financial and operational side of things, for example. And, as we are well aware from past experience, determined individual apostles can wage orthodoxy wars with little oversight or interference. The Deep State is now a conspiracist’s term, however. It both points to and then misdirects from the complexities in any large system that constrain any individual within the system. In the LDS Church, those constrained include the Q15. It is right to ponder about the structural and logistical constraints on their power, but it is misleading to suppose that a secret center of power is truly in control.

Yes. It is very human to anthropromorphize even after Mormonism or any religion belief.

As I said in a recent OP, one of the most fundamentally important observations of modern human experience is that human beings can create institutional madness through collective action unconsciously.