If you could be any Mormon Prophet or Apostle, who and why?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Re: If you could be any Mormon Prophet or Apostle, who and w

Post by _lostindc »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I'd be the current one, reverse the November Policy, ordain women (despite my deeply held misogyny), stop worthiness interviews, and make sure Saints were only paying tithing on their increase (which I'd define concretely). I'd institute missions where service in terms of building infrastructure, digging wells, preserving lands, and generally being altruists were the priority over baptizing people based on a sales pitch. I'd reorient the entirety of the church to increasing the temporal state of man so that he can achieve his potential here, on earth, his one chance at getting a mortal body, while simultaneously addressing his spiritual needs through Jesus' example. I'd attempt to develop a fraternity where men could spend time with men learning and mentoring one another. I'd ask the sisters to develop a sorority where they could learn from and mentor one another. I'd allow groups that feel marginalized to develop their own groups where they could learn from and mentor one another.

So on and so forth, progressive Liberal blah blah...

- Doc

This is very noble, now I feel like a slob.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

I would be the Prophet Joseph Smith. Laugh off my primitive stories and simply say....NOT REALLY!
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Shulem wrote: You're going to do all that in just 1 year before croaking? Plus, have you even considered that what's in between your legs is probably so dried and limp you can't even find it and you'll get tired of wearing diapers.

Jokes on you. My crap is already shriveled to bits. heh.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The next one. Just to piss Oaks off.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The final one. So I could turn the lights off.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

Joe Smith . . . for the ladies.

Or, given my age, Brigham . . . for the same reason.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

If this was simply a fantasy to try out a new way of being, I might try Brigham Young and experience being a despot. Just as long as it did not lead to a lasting corruption and multiple mortal probations
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

moksha wrote:If this was simply a fantasy to try out a new way of being, I might try Brigham Young and experience being a despot. Just as long as it did not lead to a lasting corruption and multiple mortal probations

Brother Brigham was not a despot. He was a humble man -- probably the meekest man on earth. He submitted to brother Joseph in every way.