Is the Trailer Park a Source for New Church History?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Is the Trailer Park a Source for New Church History?

Post by _Analytics »

4 years ago, I pointed out on this forum that Joseph Smith happened to be living right next door to a hill where 1,400 years earlier, a severely lost Mayan prince buried a stack of metal plates which he had carried up from Guatemala. On first blush, this seems to be very convenient for Joseph Smith and decidedly inconvenient for Moroni.

But Moroni wasn't the only one who made huge sacrifices so that the plates could be conveniently retrieved by Joseph Smith. In fact, millions of others also suffered, including an estimated 100,000 who made the ultimate sacrifice:

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... =1&t=35052

As far as I know, I was the first person to connect these events. Did the author of the new history book independently connect them too, or was he doing research here?
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Re: Is the Trailer Park a Source for New Church History?

Post by _Sanctorian »

IDK, but I think you should contact the author and have proper reference made to your post.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Good stuff. It's absolutely hilarious to me that they started out the entire historical narrative with this. Book of Mormon started out with a murder, Saints starts out with a mass murder. Also note, there is a Saints podcast as well, and they are spinning this as "new history" revealed by this work. On the podcast one of the historians tried to push back on the idea that God killed all these Indonesians to lead Joseph to the plates, though. He suggests God maybe didn't cause the volcano, but that he simply knew about it well in advance and arranged Joseph Smith's family so that they'd be influenced by this natural event that god was apparently powerless to do anything about but just happened to know about. Or something. My question - why did they include it in the book, then?

https://www.mormonchannel.org/listen/series/saints
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Analytics wrote:4 years ago, I pointed out on this forum that Joseph Smith happened to be living right next door to a hill where 1,400 years earlier, a severely lost Mayan prince buried a stack of metal plates which he had carried up from Guatemala. On first blush, this seems to be very convenient for Joseph Smith and decidedly inconvenient for Moroni.

But Moroni wasn't the only one who made huge sacrifices so that the plates could be conveniently retrieved by Joseph Smith. In fact, millions of others also suffered, including an estimated 100,000 who made the ultimate sacrifice:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35052

As far as I know, I was the first person to connect these events. Did the author of the new history book independently connect them too, or was he doing research here?

I have seen this event referenced in biographies of Joseph Smith before (I think Donna Hill's The First Mormon mentions it, but it's been six years since I've read a book about Smith), though I don't know of anyone who has pointed out the implication it has for the potential cruelty of God's design with as much as clarity and concision as you have, Analytics.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Symmachus wrote:
Analytics wrote:4 years ago, I pointed out on this forum that Joseph Smith happened to be living right next door to a hill where 1,400 years earlier, a severely lost Mayan prince buried a stack of metal plates which he had carried up from Guatemala. On first blush, this seems to be very convenient for Joseph Smith and decidedly inconvenient for Moroni.

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... =1&t=35052

I have seen this event referenced in biographies of Joseph Smith before (I think Donna Hill's The First Mormon mentions it, but it's been six years since I've read a book about Smith), though I don't know of anyone who has pointed out the implication it has for the potential cruelty of God's design with as much as clarity and concision as you have, Analytics.

Thanks, Symmachus. I suppose if a casual reader like me could connect these events, there is no way it could escape the notice of people who study this stuff seriously.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

what does the New Church History say about it? That's where I got lost.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Gadianton wrote:what does the New Church History say about it? That's where I got lost.

Read the very first chapter.

https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/conte ... k-in-faith