No Unhallowed Hand Can Stop the Work

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: No Unhallowed Hand Can Stop the Work

Post by _I have a question »

grindael wrote:Not worth a response, but you just gave one of your typical vacuous responses. SHEESH. How stupid.

It’s not worth a response so he gives a response. I’ve given him this advice before - next time he wants to post something he should run it past an eight year old first, make the corrections the eight year old points out, then press submit cancel.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

I have a question wrote:
grindael wrote:Not worth a response, but you just gave one of your typical vacuous responses. SHEESH. How stupid.

It’s not worth a response so he gives a response.

It wasn't. But I wanted you to know that I at least heard you.

Regards,
MG
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I have a question wrote:

It’s not worth a response so he gives a response.

mentalgymnast wrote:It wasn't. But I wanted you to know that I at least heard you.

Regards,
MG
...said a poster not responding.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_peacemaker
_Emeritus

Post by _peacemaker »

Shulem wrote:
peacemaker wrote:I do believe and support the McKenna Denson of the 1980s. Her story evolved over time, so I only believe the original story.

Can you say the same for Joseph Smith and his original account of the First Vision? You're aware that his story evolved over time. I think his first telling gets to the point. Right?

I know Joseph Smith saw the Father and the Son because I have a testimony of the gospel.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

peacemaker wrote:I know Joseph Smith saw the Father and the Son because I have a testimony of the gospel.

You don't know. You think. You believe. You hope. You have faith.

Where there is "KNOW" there is pure knowledge and faith is no longer operative. But your religion is founded on having faith in Jesus Christ. You have faith in Joseph Smith too.

You don't know. You aren't telling the truth either.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I know that Santa Clause lives and that Rudolf guides his sleigh. I have a testimony and know it's true.

Amen.
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

I have a question wrote:Bishop Leavitt was an appointed officer of The Church. Therefore The Church knew. That he didn’t pass it upstairs (allegedly) is an organisational failing, which doesn’t excuse the Church from culpability (imho) for failing to act and for failing to protect others.

I also think, if that is the case, then perhaps Ron Leavitt should be open for being sued in a civil case. He had a duty of care which he failed to fulfil.

It's not the same, but somewhat analogous to a sexual harassment in the workplace. If an employee reports to an immediate supervisor, the employer will generally be deemed to be on notice of the allegations, regardless of whether the supervisor reported it up the line and even if the supervisor was a low-level supervisor. So if the employer fails to take immediate action because the supervisor didn't report, the employer can still be held liable, at least for continuing harassment.

Likewise, if a supervisor is the person who engaged in the harassment, the employer likely will be strictly liable*, as the employee will be the party deemed to have engaged in the harassment. Is Bishop analogous to a supervisor?

*There may be an affirmative defense to strict liability.

With regard to a supervisor who fails to act, the supervisor generally cannot be held liable individually. (There's current legislation pending that would change California law on that point.) So if the analogy holds, Leavitt is probably not open to civil liability, regardless of the statute of limitations.