The Glass Looker: A Graphic Novel

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

The Glass Looker: A Graphic Novel

Post by _Maksutov »

http://theglasslooker.com/

The Glass Looker follows an ordinary American farm boy named Joseph Smith who discovers he possesses the magical ability for seeing in stones.

Joseph’s talent inspires searches for buried treasure and clashes with the supernatural. A visitation from a guardian spirit leads him to his greatest treasure: an ancient golden record of an extinct civilization. As Joseph avoids persecution from skeptics and fellow treasure seekers, he relies again on his natural talent of glass-looking to translate the ancient record from an unknown language. Joseph’s abilities grow until he is able to channel the very voice of The Almighty.

The Glass Looker delivers the origin story of the American boy-prophet through the larger-than-life accounts of Joseph, his family, neighbors and enemies.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: The Glass Looker: A Graphic Novel

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Interesting. I guess this is one way to get the youth interested in the Church again. Maybe he should consider a graphic novel about the D&C or General Conference.

There is some very interesting stuff if you go to the author, Mark Elwood's Twitter page. You can see his finished replica of the Gold Plates based on the dimensions by Smith: https://Twitter.com/sithelwood
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

OSC's Alvin Maker books were a riff in this direction.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

This is supposed to be faith-promoting? Does the church want the kids to believe in harry potter as well?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

This isn’t serious, right? It’s a spoof like The Book of Zelph?

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Zelph-Another-Testament-Mormon-ebook/dp/B009HKYXN4/ref=nodl_
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

The Glass Looker illustrates the myths and legends surrounding the rise of Joseph Smith from a teen-aged treasure seer to the man who would become a prophet of God.

This looks like fairly high quality work. Joe makes an interesting story and this seems like a good medium to express it. It doesn't look to me like it's intended to be faith promoting as much as an artistic expression of the rise of an important figure in American history.

I have a daughter (14) who doesn't at all understand what Morminism is even though her father is active and she knows it's had a huge effect on her life. I think I'll get these for her.

I told her the story of Joseph Smith from my perspective a few weeks ago and she kept saying, "Really? That's what they all believe?" referring to her father and extended family. She's my youngest and has been raised watching nothing but conflict with its basis in Mormonism (and several other factors) but without the indoctrination.

When she listens she hears an interesting but crazy story. I think these would be a fitting addition.

Thanks for posting.
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Thread about Mary's chronological document