Missionary Numbers Continue To Crash

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Missionary Numbers Continue To Crash

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

mikegriffith1 wrote:
Craig Paxton wrote:According to the Deseret News the number of missionaries serving is now down to 63,597. Wasn’t 2019 the year that Holland had prophecied that there would be over 100,000 missionaries serving in the field? Oops

Elder Holland "prohpesied" this? Or, did he express the belief that we would have that many missionaries in 2019?

Well. It really depends if it's a 'tight' or 'loose' prediction.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?i ... type=CMSID

"We're projecting out probably within four years," apostle Jeffrey R. Holland told a radio interviewer, "the base-line number for the missionary force will be something around 100,000."

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_2bizE
_Emeritus

Post by _2bizE »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Craig Paxton wrote:According to the Deseret News the number of missionaries serving is now down to 63,597. Wasn’t 2019 the year that Holland had prophecied that there would be over 100,000 missionaries serving in the field? Oops

Calm down Craig. This is the suspense before THE MIRACLE!!!!! It ain't 2019 yet, Holland is still in the game for proclaiming a stunning prophecy that will help solve all the world problems with Mormon Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint missionaries out there changing the world for good. :rolleyes:

With GC coming shortly, this prophecy could become true as all mission aged men not on missions will be called as missionaries, to serve wherever they live. This will be their field to labor, even if they don’t want to. The lord works in mysterious ways.
~ 2BizE
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

mikegriffith1 wrote:

Elder Holland "prohpesied" this? Or, did he express the belief that we would have that many missionaries in 2019?

What’s the difference?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

spotlight wrote:
“This is the fewest converts we’ve had in 30 years,” said Matthew Martinich, founder of the LDS Church Growth blog, which tracks Mormon growth and retention internationally, and project manager for Cumorah.com. “I think that’s a big concern.” The Church added 233,729 new converts in 2017, when that figure was closer to 300,000 just four or five years ago.

https://religionnews.com/2018/04/13/mor ... n-the-u-s/

Little over a decade for there to be zero new growth at the present rate of decline.

Excellent call-out. I think the rate of decline will get the Church at zero growth sooner than what matt is suggesting. I don't know that he's taking into account the number of new converts who simply aren't converts after a few months' time. While they're remain and the base number, as in number of names on the records will show growth, the actual growth will be no more. I'd guess we're about there now, as is.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

2bizE wrote:
With General Conference coming shortly, this prophecy could become true as all mission aged men not on missions will be called as missionaries, to serve wherever they live. This will be their field to labor, even if they don’t want to. The lord works in mysterious ways.

Jeeeezus that is a scary thought. Please Mormons, don't become another Jehovah Witness type nuisance.

The Elderpocalypse is about to be unleashed on the world!

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson