Donations to Preserve Mormon Discussions as a Primary Source

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Donations to Preserve Mormon Discussions as a Primary So

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I finally received a reply from Mav. Here's the relevant portion:

I don't spend any time managing websites anymore, had almost forgotten I still pay for the hosting.

If you want to raise some money through gofundme, venmo etc, we could probably find someone to update the software and maintain.

So, there you have it. If anyone wishes to start an account with one of those services, that's the way to do this.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

Dr. Shades wrote:I finally received a reply from Mav. Here's the relevant portion:

I don't spend any time managing websites anymore, had almost forgotten I still pay for the hosting.

If you want to raise some money through gofundme, venmo etc, we could probably find someone to update the software and maintain.

So, there you have it. If anyone wishes to start an account with one of those services, that's the way to do this.

Does he still want to own this site? I always thought you owned the site. Could we fundraise for you to take ownership?
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:I finally received a reply from Mav. Here's the relevant portion:

That was clear as mud.

He doesn't say how much money. Find someone to update the software and maintain it, like who? How does this give you ownership of the site?

How is it a good idea to start a fundraiser without knowing who, what or how much is needed?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Jersey Girl wrote:That was clear as mud.

He doesn't say how much money. Find someone to update the software and maintain it, like who? How does this give you ownership of the site?

How is it a good idea to start a fundraiser without knowing who, what or how much is needed?

The first question is if he wants money for the existing data and domain? A new host would probably be <$10/mo for shared hosting (which would be fine for a low-volume board like this). The URL would be $15/yr to renew. So a $300 fundraiser could keep the board running for 3 - 5 years.

The second question is whether this 10-year-old version of phpBB is compatible with the current version as far as migrating the data is concerned?
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Who gives a crap how much is given to the preservation of the web-site. If every active viewer gave $5.00, what is the loss to the individual if the money is lost. I believe the people running this board are more concerned with maintaining the board than the "fortune" that could possible be raised by a gofundme campaign.

Give the money, accounting it as a movie ticket (dollar night at the movies) and don't worry about the use. Be a Mormon in this case (I don't care if they burn my tithing money, its for the Lard and his slimy idiots).
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

cinepro wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:That was clear as mud.

The first question is if he wants money for the existing data and domain? A new host would probably be <$10/mo for shared hosting (which would be fine for a low-volume board like this). The URL would be $15/yr to renew. So a $300 fundraiser could keep the board running for 3 - 5 years.

The second question is whether this 10-year-old version of phpBB is compatible with the current version as far as migrating the data is concerned?

We are running version 3.X of the software. The current version is, I think, 3.2.X The phpBB forum has lots of folks posting who make that magnitude of upgrade. It looks like it works pretty smoothly as long as any installed extensions are removed before the updating and whoever does the update follows the update instructions. There are also extensions for automatically updating the software and for automatic backup of the db. Managing the board doesn't look too difficult or time consuming as long as one can read and follow instructions.

Questions for Shades/EA/Mav: Which version are we currently running? Is the database being backed up? How old is the last backup?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Wow, it sounds as if our existence here is very fragile. If there has been nobody doing DB/Site backup and maintenance all these years, with Mav not even remembering that he's hosting the place. I'm surprised it's still here.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

RockSlider wrote:Wow, it sounds as if our existence here is very fragile. If there has been nobody doing DB/Site backup and maintenance all these years, with Mav not even remembering that he's hosting the place. I'm surprised it's still here.

ELOHIM: Jehovah, Michael, my anger is kindled against the anti-Mormons. Go down to the earth and check on Mormon Discussions and then return and report.

JEHOVAH: It shall be done, Elohim. Come, Michael let us go down.

MICHAEL: We shall go down, come Jehovah, let's check on the website and foil Dr. Shades and punish Shulem for his wickedness.