Proclamation on Medical Marijuana

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Proclamation on Medical Marijuana

Post by _moksha »

Did everyone get the former Mormon Church's Proclamation on Medical Marijuana urging the faithful to vote against the ballot proposition allowing marijuana, for those with a limited number of medical conditions, in the upcoming Utah general election? Check your email (if you are on the Church's email list) if you have not yet received it. It will probably be reiterated by Dallin Oaks in the upcoming General Conference.

Will members really buy into thinking that it will cause reefer madness among the young and that the former Mormon Church will be required to provide such marijuana in the Temples? Well, you know the thinking has already been done for them.

At least there is an acknowledgment that this new scriptural addition was written by the law firm of Kirton McConkie.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Re: Proclamation on Medical Marijuana

Post by _The Dude »

WE DECLARE that puffing the devil's lettuce is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Why is the Church only bothered about fighting the ratification of medicinal marijuana in Utah? It hasn’t given $0.02 about it in any other State or Country. It’s got nothing to do with the value of the Churchs’ Big Pharma stock holding, right? Or that medicinal marijuana will be seen to work more effectively than the combination of olive oil and wishful thinking? Maybe marijuana was created by God purely for the treatment of sick cattle...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I have a question wrote:Why is the Church only bothered about fighting the ratification of medicinal marijuana in Utah? It hasn’t given $0.02 about it in any other State or Country. It’s got nothing to do with the value of the Churchs’ Big pharmaceutical stock holding, right? Or that medicinal marijuana will be seen to work more effectively than the combination of olive oil and wishful thinking? Maybe marijuana was created by God purely for the treatment of sick cattle...

The church has always meddled in Utah politics. At least now it is more open about it. It looks like this has a little to do with "not in my backyard" kind of mentality. The old geezers in charge probably grew up with parents shocked and afraid of reefer madness and aren't thinking this through. Cocaine is used in medicine and medical marijuana is a good pain reliever and has other medicinal uses like seizure prevention. It seems that allowing it for medical use should be encouraged if it will lessen opiate abuse. Even so, in the 1950's it wasn't used and there is the slippery slope argument or camel's nose in the tent ..... the old church geezers are probably still shocked by the 1960's and 1970's and don't want hippies parading in temple square. Marijuana seemed to always be a symbol of rebellion against parents and parental organizations and the geezers can't have any of that or any possibility of that.

In other news, BYU productions is hard at work on a remake of father knows best, and father was definitely against medical marijuana

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

If this law passes, it will be one of the greatest signals the church is losing influence over Utah politics.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

Well the last time they kicked up a big stink about something being legalized, same sex marriage became legal across the entire country.

I guess they didn’t learn.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.