What Is The New Name For The Mormon Interpreter?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: What Is The New Name For The Mormon Interpreter?

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:Limited Geographic

Monologue

The Review Formerly Known as FARMS

Ad Hominem Weekly

The Polemicist

Maxim: A Journal of Hot Gospel Principles

Interpreter: A Journal of Latter-day Saint Scripture, Early Latter-day Saint History, and Latter-day Saint Hit Jobs

My heavens—I needed the special silk hanky that Dean Robbers gifted to me years ago in order to dab away the tears of mirth!

Monologue is absolutely classic. Lol....
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think they really need to sell the mopologists' personalities on this one.

The Dan Peterson Experience

Heavyweight - Donuts and Doctrines

The Allutionists

Joseph Smith is my Senpai

Oh, Gee-sh! That's Egyptian!

Peer Review with Lou

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

MsJack wrote:My friend Katie Langston (former Mormon, now Lutheran minister) has an insightful post on why other Christian churches haven't tried to claim the name "the Church of Jesus Christ" and why we aren't about to begin referring to Mormons as such:

https://lostingrace.org/2018/08/18/what ... us-christ/

MsJack, thank you so much for that link. Your friend wrote an amazing piece. Its hard to do it justice with just a quote, because she writes so cohesively and builds her concepts so solidly, but it's worth a try, because a couple of her sentences capture the issue so well:
Unless they have participated in interfaith conversations, my experience is that Mormons tend to believe that each denomination makes the same claim they do–to be the “one and only true church”....

What Mormons miss is that Christians within those denominations do not understand themselves as adhering to a different “religion” from one another. Instead, they understand themselves as being adherents of the same religion: Christianity....

It would be incorrect and frankly offensive for any single denomination to refer to themselves as “the Church of Jesus Christ,” which is precisely why no major Christian body uses it.

Mormons’ push to claim this term for themselves will ultimately prove unsuccessful because it fails to account for the mysterious and gracious promise of unity in God’s love that anchors the church of Jesus Christ in all its expressions throughout the world.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

From the same blog:

In 2001, Dallin Oaks insisted that Mormons could use the abbreviation of “the Church of Jesus Christ” because “no other major Christian body in the United States had laid claim to it.”

So, I was totes curious if anyone laid claim to "The Church of Jesus Christ" because, you know, why not? It took me a very long time to find the answer:

*literally 5 seconds later on Google*

Second link down.

https://www.thechurchofjesuschrist.org/

On their homepage:

Copyright © 2016-2018 The Church of Jesus Christ. All rights reserved. | Privacy Policy.

Once again I'm reminded of just how, I dunno, uninspired God's prophets seem to be, in that they didn't register the name, "The Church of Jesus Christ."

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

The Relief Society sister in Parowan recently wrote me a letter expressing her sadness that The Interpreter Foundation has failed to follow the Prophet. Here she cites Dr. Peterson's big announcement back in January:
On behalf of the board of trustees of The Interpreter Foundation and consistent with the counsel of President Russell M. Nelson, I’m pleased to announce that we are renaming the Foundation’s principal regular publication. It will now be known as

Interpreter: A Journal of Latter-day Saint Faith and Scholarship

Not only will the journal be renamed but, over the relatively near short-term, we will be reworking our websites in order to reflect that new name. This will be done, of course, with the least possible disruption to our thousands of subscribers and readers.

This faithful sister makes the painful observation that more than six months later, inconsistent with the counsel of President Nelson, The Interpreter Foundation continues to host its weekly journal at http://www.mormoninterpreter.com. I don't know what to tell her.

On the bright side, I do expect that FairMormon will announce a name change at its annual conference in August. Speaking of FairMormon, this year's conference features higher ticket prices, great accommodations, new lunch menus, books you’ve never seen before, and a fantastic lineup of speakers and topics. I look foward to hearing from several of the speakers, including the following:

A. Mayan, "The Dirt on Ancient Inhabitants of Mesoamerica"
Respondent: L. Midgley, "The Dirt on Modern Anonymous Visitors at Sic Et Non (viz., Gemli)"

B.O.M. Central: "ScripturePlus: The Future of Scripture Study"
Respondent: R. Meldrum: "The Annotated Edition of the Book of Mormon: The FIRM Future of Scripture Study"

S. Pratt and W. Wyl, "Insights from the Joseph Smith Papers into John C. Bennett’s Abortion Practice"
Respondent: B. Hales

Yoda Man, "Fear Leads to the Dark Side: How to Navigate the Shallows of Internet (Mis)Information on Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker"
Respondent: S. Smoot

Elder Craig C. Christensen, "Pending"
Respondent: Tad Callister

DCP, "Water Witching, ESP, Remote Viewing, NDEs, the Ghost Committee, and Seer Stones, or Why I Can't Manage to Disbelieve"

It promises to be a great conference.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Duplicate
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Interpreter: A Journal of Latter-day Saint Faith and Scholarship

Wonder what FAIRMormon will come up with to avoid the new devil word "Mormon". I wish FAIRMormon could resist this silliness of thinking something is wrong with the name Mormon, but in a group that plays follow-the-leader, such a resistance would be unlikely.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Respondent: L. Midgley, "The Dirt on Modern Anonymous Visitors at Sic Et Non (viz., Gemli)"

i wouldn't be surprised in the least if this were to be the main speech.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

They are clowns or errand boys sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen