I Think I Just Figured Out Dan Peterson,... Honestly I Have

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

I Think I Just Figured Out Dan Peterson,... Honestly I Have

Post by _Philo Sofee »

His latest contribution to killing testimonies is just up, and it struck me as the singular most ironic thing Peterson has ever written, and then the Holy Ghost testified to me that it is because irony is his game, not belief, not knowledge, not truth, but pure irony. Consider what he said

First off, I readily admit that Mysteries of the Middle Ages, the title of a book by Thomas Cahill, is a bit hokey. It’s reminiscent of the worst kind of “documentary” on the History Channel or the Discovery Channel, or, even, of those billboards you still sometimes find along rural roads (“Astonishing Caves of Mystery! See Gravity-Defying Waterfalls! Marvel at the Three-Hundred-Year-Old Midget Lady!”), advertising ramshackle places where the laws of nature are suspended and you can witness it all for yourself for an admission price of just $8.95 for adults ($4.95 for children). I wonder who chose the title.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... ges-2.html

I find his mockery fascinating in light of the fact that he missed the headlines "Man alive again after being dead for three days, and no medical problems." "Man speaks, and iron axe head floats to the top of river for his convenient retrieval." "Man points finger and calms dangerous tornado." "99 year old woman gives birth to perfectly healthy normal boy." "Oldest man ever discovered, is known to be 989 years old." "Woman gives birth to baby without having sex of any kind." (all of these headlines are scriptural stories that Dr. Peterson has faith in that are true. None are any less silly than the ones he thinks are silly. Pure irony. And then there's the hilarious one of man writes book written in Reformed Egyptian from a stone glowing English from a dark hat... :rolleyes:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: I Think I Just Figured Out Dan Peterson,... Honestly I H

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

I think the biggest indication that DCP doesn't really believe in the Book of Mormon/Church is the way he acts and treats other people.

If DCP really did believe in and embrace the Gospel, he wouldn't constantly lie, plagarize, demean, attack and bully.

DCP is a TBM much the same way that Cookie Monster is a monster.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I think the biggest indication that DCP doesn't really believe in the Book of Mormon/Church is the way he acts and treats other people.

If DCP really did believe in and embrace the Gospel, he wouldn't constantly lie, plagarize, demean, attack and bully.

Or perhaps he sees himself as a larger in stature than Nephi was warrior for Jesus... I mean, it's romantic, it's definitely masculine, it can garner great glory upon the hairs of ones hoary head, it presents great honor to their power, etc. I too think, deep down, his repression of the obvious is firmly under the concrete cement of Book of Mormon testimony so that he can at least garner a pension for faithful service at the "Lord's University." I mean, here's a guy who believes in dowsing rods, and mocks bulletin boards that have more realistic chances of being actually real than the mythology in scriptures?! That's ironic as all gadianton get out!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Kittens_and_Jesus
_Emeritus

Post by _Kittens_and_Jesus »

I find Matt 25 to be the pinnacle of Christian philosophy. It's sad that too few Christians are familiar with it and live by it. They're the goats, not the sheep. The sad part is they don't even know or care enough about their own religion to realize..
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. - O'Sensei
_ClarkGoble
_Emeritus

Post by _ClarkGoble »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I think the biggest indication that DCP doesn't really believe in the Book of Mormon/Church is the way he acts and treats other people.

Ernest question. Do those here who engage in snark think of themselves as ethical charitable people? Maybe they do. Maybe they don't. But if they do yet engage in actions that belie that, does that mean they really don't believe in the ethics they espouse?

I'm not condemning anyone mind you. Just that acknowledging our common humanity and frailties might be in order. Otherwise it's hard to shake the feeling of a pretty high degree of hypocrisy here overall. (Without pointing to anyone in particular) My guess is that to the degree Peterson does this, he probably thinks about it very much like people here think about their humor. That's not to justify Peterson's actions. Just to note that each of us can change our own behaviors and perhaps act a bit more charitable rather than use others perceived lack of charity as a way of excusing our own.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

CB wrote:I'm not condemning anyone mind you. Just that acknowledging our common humanity and frailties might be in order. Otherwise it's hard to shake the feeling of a pretty high degree of hypocrisy here overall. (Without pointing to anyone in particular) My guess is that to the degree Peterson does this, he probably thinks about it very much like people here think about their humor.

So you also sense a high degree of hypocrisy from Peterson? :wink: