Will LDS Folks EVER Understand How Science Works?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Will LDS Folks EVER Understand How Science Works?

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Over at yonder blog which is always admitting its mean, nasty, vicious, conniving, and LDS (a rather genius fit I would propose :wink: ) Peterson imagines that acrimony in science mars its value and achievement and capability to proceed onwards. It is rather amusing to see his incorrect assumption. Science ALWAYS disputes evidence since it does not, like Mormonism, rest on authoritah and someone merely saying so. I wonder how long it will take him to appreciate that is the fundamental strength of science. Not believing, but testing, and proving, which implies lots of argument. Anyway, notice how he redefines Young Earth Creationism as if that saves it from its utter silliness. His is definitely NOT a young earth view according to classical young earth creationism. I wonder if he fathoms that? Of course, being used to redefining meanings of words such as horse into tapir, this isn't all that surprising actually. So, on with the show...

I strongly recommend the following article, which illustrates the very human side of science alongside an absolutely fascinating and substantive debate that has been marred by acrimony, name-calling, and ad hominems — the very things that I’m supposed to absolutely love and to exemplify in my own daily vicious behavior. “This dispute,” says the author, “illuminates the messy way that science progresses, and how this idealized process, ostensibly guided by objective reason and the search for truth, is shaped by ego, power, and politics.”

“The Nastiest Feud in Science: A Princeton geologist has endured decades of ridicule for arguing that the fifth extinction was caused not by an asteroid but by a series of colossal volcanic eruptions. But she’s reopened that debate.” See here https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... te/565769/

For Latter-day Saints and others who might wonder what the position of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is with regard to the question of the age of the Earth, I recommend the following, on the FairMormon website:

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Morm ... _the_Earth

My own personal position? I am, indeed, a young-Earth creationist. As per the scriptures, I believe that there was intelligent divine agency involved. And I accept current scientific estimates that Earth is approximately 4.543 billion years old — which, when compared with the estimated age of the universe as a whole (about 13.8 billion years), makes it quite young.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Themis
_Emeritus

Re: Will LDS Folks EVER Understand How Science Works?

Post by _Themis »

Philo Sofee wrote:Anyway, notice how he redefines Young Earth Creationism as if that saves it from its utter silliness. His is definitely NOT a young earth view according to classical young earth creationism. I wonder if he fathoms that? Of course, being used to redefining meanings of words such as horse into tapir, this isn't all that surprising actually. So, on with the show...

I think he is just trying to be funny with the idea that billions of years is a short time compared to the eternities and that he knows he is not a YEC as it is normally defined. I also agree that science can progress in messy ways, but it does progress and has built in methodologies that help it progress. Religion is just messy with even worse problems with egos power and politics and does not progress except in some instances where science shows it is wrong. It wasn't religion that showed the earth was billions of years old.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr. Peterson fails to mention how so-called current "science" is withholding vital information regarding matter replication, terraforming, and warp engine technology. These technologies could be responsibly wielded on a joint basis by Deseret Properties Management and the Mormon Interpreter Foundation in building both the new Lamoni City in Florida and the Apologetic Space Ark where only faith-promoting science will be allowed.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Kerry,

How long did you ignore facts?
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !