New RFM Podcast--A Whale of a Tale

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: New RFM Podcast--A Whale of a Tale

Post by _Lemmie »

consiglieri wrote:Ooops!!! I mean thanks Lemmie!!!!

:lol: That's ok. You are welcome!!!!
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

If Blair served circa August 1953 to August 1955, and the Marion County cruised in the Far East between October 1953 and May 1954, then Ensign Blair would have been a very inexperienced Sailor, new to the crew and ship, and whom the Captain would hardly know.

I think Frank Blair has been dining out on a lie for 60 years. And Larry Wilson swallowed it. A very simple fact checking exercising involving the Holy Google has driven tanks through his troop ship tall tale.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Lemmie wrote:

I was about to say you're welcome and take credit for something I didn't produce (like a certain mopologist we know) ....... :lol:
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Lemmie wrote:

Exiled wrote:I was about to say you're welcome and take credit for something I didn't produce (like a certain mopologist we know) ....... :lol:

I saw what you did there... :lol: :lol:
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Lemmie wrote:

Thanks to you, Bill Reel has contacted the website you posted and made arrangements to have an expert pore over the relevant log books for the LST-975 and see what can be learned!
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I have a question wrote:If Blair served circa August 1953 to August 1955, and the Marion County cruised in the Far East between October 1953 and May 1954, then Ensign Blair would have been a very inexperienced Sailor, new to the crew and ship, and whom the Captain would hardly know.

Blair's seafaring experience does seem to be rather limited.

But he did know about running tractor engines at lower speeds from pre-Navy experience on the farm.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

cwald wrote:I don't think this is relevant. Well, it's relevant to prove he was actually a sailor on a ship during the Korean War "era."

I haven’t heard anyone extend a war past its end to be included in it as an era. Then again, that war never officially ended. It’s just been a very long ceasefire.

I was in Japan a few months after the fall of Saigon. It never occurred to me that was during the Vietnam War era. But maybe it would have if I were in the US military instead of God’s Army. Who knows?
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Is there any other example of a World War 2 (or since) ships’ Captain requesting a sailor under his command go outside to take a look at the propellers?

I also note from the podcast, that not only does Wilson put the full responsibility for the facts of the story squarely on Frank Blair, but he can’t quite bring himself to totally throw Blair under the propellers. He adds the little personal trestimony that he knows that what Blair told him is true.

At least Holland had the humility to admit the mistake and public apologise, despite knowing the ridicule he faced, taking the full brunt of the issue on his own shoulders, rather than passing the buck to the members who told the tale in the first place.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')