Gay Missionary Subjected to Threat Assessment, Legal Review

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Gay Missionary Subjected to Threat Assessment, Legal Rev

Post by _Kishkumen »

That is both deeply disturbing and bizarre. I remember, though, how profoundly terrified Mormons are of homosexuality. This fear is deeply imprinted on the organization, leading it to abuse and traumatize perfectly decent and healthy gay people. It's absolutely disgusting what the LDS Church does.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

With all possible respect to that missionary, . . . what else did he expect??
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jonah
_Emeritus

Post by _Jonah »

Question - - Let's say that a Mormon youth comes out as gay, doesn't "act" on it, and in every other way lives an exemplary LDS life. If they wanted to serve an LDS mission, would they be allowed to? Would the Bishop, Stake President, or a higher up shut it down? It appears as if the missionary who emailed Dehlin came out while on his mission. What if a person came out BEFORE filing their paperwork?

I've been out so long I don't know if "same sex attracted" youth are allowed to serve on missions. Is there a policy? Don't ask, don't tell?
Red flags look normal when you're wearing rose colored glasses.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr. Shades wrote:With all possible respect to that missionary, . . . what else did he expect??

It's hard to say exactly what the mind of an 18/19 year old young man might expect when talking to his mission president about his sexual orientation. With all the recent chatter in the church about how the church is showing more care and concern towards LGBT issues he probably expected to be treated in a way that a loving father would care for a son or daughter.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:With all possible respect to that missionary, . . . what else did he expect??

Sometimes it is hard to remember exactly how ignorant and naïve 18 year old kids are. So, I would say that we ought not to expect that he should have known better. The fact that we ask questions such as this one tells us all we need to know.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Kishkumen wrote:Sometimes it is hard to remember exactly how ignorant and naïve 18 year old kids are. So, I would say that we ought not to expect that he should have known better. The fact that we ask questions such as this one tells us all we need to know.

I guess I don't understand the need for a "threat assessment." If the kid wasn't on the verge of jumping his companion, what's the problem? It's easy to say that it takes a special kind of stupid to think a mission president wouldn't react badly to saying you are gay, but we really were that naïve (at least I was).
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Runtu wrote:I guess I don't understand the need for a "threat assessment." If the kid wasn't on the verge of jumping his companion, what's the problem? It's easy to say that it takes a special kind of stupid to think a mission president wouldn't react badly to saying you are gay, but we really were that naïve (at least I was).

Here we have a culture in which 12 year old girls are interrogated about their masturbation habits and these girls are expected to be honest and provide details. So now we’re surprised that an earnest young missionary does not hide his same sex attraction from his mission president?

Sorry to be crass but the monstrousness of this system must be aired regularly.