The Hot Air of Windbag Louis Midgley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: The Hot Air of Windbag Louis Midgley

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tom wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:Tom,

Do you suppose that it's possible that cheese fondue plays some role in the Mopologists' general acrimony? I.e., that they eat it to maintain their bellicosity in much the same way that Popeye consumes spinach in order to increase his strength?

Yes, it’s quite possible. In my younger, somewhat naïve years, I scheduled a casual working lunch with Dr. Midgley at The Melting Pot in Salt Lake City to discuss the juicy details of his bizarre and unseemly fondness for Fawn Brodie, Dale Morgan, and Dr. Marvin Hill. I was looking forward to several pleasurable hours of sampling a variety of gourmet cheese delights, namely Wisconsin Trio, French Onion Gruyère, and Green Goddess Cheddar, all washed down by a few pints of O’Doul’s. But when Dr. Midgley stormed into the elegant establishment armed to the teeth with a bo and a pitchfork rather than his personal fondue forks (you bring your own to The Melting Pot), I knew I was in trouble. I must confess that I made a quick escape through the kitchen (stopping only a second to taste the exquisite Bananas Foster). There just seems to be something in the fondue in Utah that brings out the beast in Mopologists. I’ve never seen anything like it elsewhere. I’ve dined on fondue in the finest restaurants—Armpit Fromage in Battle Mountain, Nevada, for one—and I’ve never seen anything like the rage that I saw in Dr. Midgley’s eyes that infamous day.

My god this is glorious.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tom wrote:Yes, it’s quite possible. In my younger, somewhat naïve years, I scheduled a casual working lunch with Dr. Midgley at The Melting Pot in Salt Lake City to discuss the juicy details of his bizarre and unseemly fondness for Fawn Brodie, Dale Morgan, and Dr. Marvin Hill. I was looking forward to several pleasurable hours of sampling a variety of gourmet cheese delights, namely Wisconsin Trio, French Onion Gruyère, and Green Goddess Cheddar, all washed down by a few pints of O’Doul’s. But when Dr. Midgley stormed into the elegant establishment armed to the teeth with a bo and a pitchfork rather than his personal fondue forks (you bring your own to The Melting Pot), I knew I was in trouble. I must confess that I made a quick escape through the kitchen (stopping only a second to taste the exquisite Bananas Foster). There just seems to be something in the fondue in Utah that brings out the beast in Mopologists. I’ve never seen anything like it elsewhere. I’ve dined on fondue in the finest restaurants—Armpit Fromage in Battle Mountain, Nevada, for one—and I’ve never seen anything like the rage that I saw in Dr. Midgley’s eyes that infamous day.

My god this is glorious.

- Doc

Yea verily, in the way that only an Armpit Fromage can be. :eek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

kairos wrote:So does anyone know how Louis Midgley had the nickname "Woody" given to him when spoken of by members of this board- my recall is that Dr Scratch gave that nickname to LCM but I could be mistaken.
k

I believe that Will Bagley gave him that nickname when he and a bunch of other folks were all posting on a Mormon history listserve. I was told that Midgley did not take kindly to the nickname.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
kairos wrote:So does anyone know how Louis Midgley had the nickname "Woody" given to him when spoken of by members of this board- my recall is that Dr Scratch gave that nickname to LCM but I could be mistaken.
k

I believe that Will Bagley gave him that nickname when he and a bunch of other folks were all posting on a Mormon history listserve. I was told that Midgley did not take kindly to the nickname.

Why Wood he? :wink: On the flip side, it's a lot nicer than dickhead. :biggrin:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Lemmie wrote:Midgley has a habit of referring to living people who leave the LDS church as having "gone missing." I find this quite disturbing.
What a horrible thing to say. It is as if our whole lives have become a blank page..
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

candygal wrote:
Lemmie wrote:Midgley has a habit of referring to living people who leave the LDS church as having "gone missing." I find this quite disturbing.
What a horrible thing to say. It is as if our whole lives have become a blank page..

Well, I mean, what else can you expect to see blank minds grasp? :wink:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."