The "It's too sacred to talk about" strategy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

The "It's too sacred to talk about" strategy

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I have thought about this through the years, and don't really remember hearing it ever when I was growing up. Did it start with Boyd Packer? He was the one who seemed to use it the most. Anyway, I just found this little dialogue that shows how silly it really is to use. An imaginary dialogue opens it wide open for what it really is.

You: Would you say that the atonement was the most sacred experience of all?

Other Person who has said it is too sacred: Yes, of course.

You: Since it was shared so we can learn from it, do you think that your experiences are more sacred then the atonement?

I thought that was pretty darn good.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: The "It's too sacred to talk about" strategy

Post by _Dr Exiled »

The religious love magic shows and the Mormon magicians are more than willing to supply. However, Mormon magic is always done in hushed tones and even so hushed that it is simply too sacred to tell because that is how they claim the HG speaks.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

As a young missionary in SA, I attended a missionary zone conference where BKP asked us if we had any questions we would like to ask him. I raised my hand and asked if he would tell us more about the 2nd anointing. He replied that I didn't need to know that.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

This too sacred gambit came about at least partially when an apostle was asked whether he had personally seen/encountered jesus since that is supposed to be a criteria for being a special witness /apostle-convenient answer 'too sacred to talk about' got him off the hook and many others who also have seen visions in the temple, angels on the rooftops, dead family members in bedrooms, pets in the celestial kingdom, etc. Joseph Smith had so many first visions he could not keep them straight and did not talk about them for decades- SSSSooooooo Special!