Mormonism is Gonna Save America Folks, Read All About It!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Mormonism is Gonna Save America Folks, Read All About It!

Post by _Philo Sofee »

https://religionnews.com/2018/08/03/how ... e-america/

I read the article and was surprised, without question. Could make for interesting discussion is all. The Mormons continue to imagine they are Saviors on Mount Zion... Such a gooey warm gushing feeling in the bosom!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Re: Mormonism is Gonna Save America Folks, Read All About It

Post by _Sanctorian »

Maybe I missed it, but what's her solution? To force people into geographical interactions?
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Where has Riess been? Holy crap! That is one of the more oblivious pieces—if not the most oblivious piece—she has written. I can’t say I’ve come anywhere close to reading them all, but of those I have read this one stands out as uniquely obtuse.

News flash: Mormonism is, by and large, a deeply conservative faith. It is so conservative, in fact, that BYU-Provo passes for liberal in crackpot Rexburg, this despite the fact that Utah County is more reliably red than practically any other county in the country. BYU-Provo, which gave Dick Cheney, GOP war profiteer, an honorary doctoral degree. This Church fired a BYU-Provo professor for speaking at a pro-choice rally on her own time, even though the Church did not profess to be pro-life!

This is a Church that had a rabidly anti-communist conspiracy theorist as its prophet. A Church that, to this day, is incapable of apologizing for, let alone correcting, its persistent racism and gender hysteria. The latter when LDS kids are killing themselves out of self loathing for being gay.

The liberals in this organization hang on out of sheer stubbornness. This is the kind of place in which one routinely hears testimonies about Republican politics and leaders and snickers and groans about evil Democrats. There is absolutely no question which side of the political spectrum is favored in wards and stakes across America (with the possible exception of Berkeley and Boston).

Jana Riess can’t marginalize Republican Mormons because they own her Church. She likely keeps her mouth shut during the same knowing laughter and insulting comments about liberals that most of us have heard. When I was a loyal GOP voter they made me cringe. If anything, the only real relief to be sought from crazy Mormon conservatives is to do what many of us have done: leave the LDS Church.

There. Problem solved. But, please, do continue sit there in silent agony while loud mouthed Republican ignoramuses bear testimonies about Trump or whatever other jingoistic nonsense they choose to gush about, Jana. You won’t be kicked out for sitting through it. How wonderful! How marvelous! A recipe for national salvation!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

You won’t be kicked out for sitting through it. How wonderful! How marvelous! A recipe for national salvation!

thank you reverend, for clarifying my frustration trying to read that garbage.

Another testament that, we can all come back to Church and be a big happy family if we can lower the height of the bar to the diameter of a single hydrogen atom.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:Another testament that, we can all come back to Church and be a big happy family if we can lower the height of the bar to the diameter of a single hydrogen atom.

I thought her trick of using ward boundaries to argue that we are forced to put up with others unlike us was pretty sly. Yes, the overwhelmingly white, heteronormative, male-dominated culture of the LDS Church really challenges us to get along with different people. To think that you might be forced to grasp the same podium as an icky Democrat who, by virtue of her politics, cannot truly understand the Gospel! Why, it just tests a person to the very limit of endurance!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Sanctorian wrote:Maybe I missed it, but what's her solution? To force people into geographical interactions?

Yes, that is what it boils down to. If America were divided into Wards then drugs, the mafia, unemployment, abortion, gays, women in the workforce, blacks, hispanics and asians would all disappear.

It would be a Norman Rockwell utopia with a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage. Every night after dinner all the families would gather around their radios to listen to Lawrence Welk and the Kingston Trio.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

ha, yeah. i guess the way I was thinking of it was, what non-political organization doesn't do precisely what is claimed the LDS church does?

If you join the local bowling team, won't some be liberals and some conservatives?

I walk my dog with a big right-wing, former home builder and a big left-wing, former Hollywood exec. Technically, we could all go walk our dogs elsewhere to avoid each other, as no prophet is commanding us to get along, but the dogs all get along, and the mutual appreciation of dogs gives everyone a reason to put up with each other. And at the end of the day, everyone has a sense of humor.

I wouldn't try to argue that dog walking will heal our nation, but now that I think of it, it would probably have a much better chance of doing so than the author of this article's facile cult.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Gadianton wrote:ha, yeah. i guess the way I was thinking of it was, what non-political organization doesn't do precisely what is claimed the LDS church does?

If you join the local bowling team, won't some be liberals and some conservatives?

I walk my dog with a big right-wing, former home builder and a big left-wing, former Hollywood exec. Technically, we could all go walk our dogs elsewhere to avoid each other, as no prophet is commanding us to get along, but the dogs all get along, and the mutual appreciation of dogs gives everyone a reason to put up with each other. And at the end of the day, everyone has a sense of humor.

I wouldn't try to argue that dog walking will heal our nation, but now that I think of it, it would probably have a much better chance of doing so than the author of this article's facile cult.

Dog walking or Mormonism, take your pick. Either way you're going to be dealing with a lot of crap.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014