40th High School Reunion

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: 40th High School Reunion

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The world is a far better place that we have you in our midst MsJack. Great story, thanks for sharing.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

consiglieri wrote:I dropped by an old friend's house not far from where the reunion was slated to take place a few hours later.

My girlfriend and I were joining a small get-together of my friends from high school.

There were only 6-8 others there. Bruce was there with his wife; the only Mormons in the group.

Seems that you have helped to fulfill prophacy Concig. You fell into the trap of designing people who conspired to recruit you into the Mormon club by creating a false impression of friendship in order get you to lower your otherwise sharp intellect and personal boundaries so that you would be easier prey for their plans.

Isn't one of the most important elements of the Mormon plan of recruiting, I mean converting, members into the church that the members create an allure of friendship directed at their intended targets? These friendships are often just superficial recruitment fronts designed to get the intended recruit to lower their natural boundaries long enough to fall into the trap laid out by these designing people who's partial goal is to merely cut another notch in their belt.

On a side not, since my departure from the LDS church, I've discovered that I really had very few "friends" in the church. But the TBM friends that I do have are ones whos friendship was built not on a foundation of my being a Mormon but on other common interests.

D&C 89:4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

My daughter has recently been targeted as a "prospect" from some of the young women in the ward. I'm going to meet with the bishop and share this cautionary tale with him and ask he have a lesson on being friends with non members with no ulterior motives for missionary work. I'll return and report.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Sanctorian wrote:My daughter has recently been targeted as a "prospect" from some of the young women in the ward. I'm going to meet with the bishop and share this cautionary tale with him and ask he have a lesson on being friends with non members with no ulterior motives for missionary work. I'll return and report.

I forgot to return and report. Elohim would be pretty upset at me if I was Michael.

Anyway, met with the entire bishopric last Sunday before sacrament. Had a nice chat. I consider them my friends (and insurance agent in the case of the second counselor). I shared with them this story and we all agreed when we single out prospective youth converts, we run the risk of turning them into spiritual awards to be won. I asked they keep inviting my daughter, but because they view her as part of the in group meaning don't treat her differently.

I then stayed for sacrament. I made sure the ward clerk counted me three times to boost attendance numbers. I then joked I should eat the entire tray of bread to make up for all the weeks I've missed. During a particularly slow point in the final speakers talk, I sent a text to the first counselor letting him know if they would assign a musical solo to one of my other buddies, I'd return next week. That made him laugh on the stand. Good times.

I'm sure as the leadership changes, I'll have to repeat this cautionary tale. My ultimate goal in all of this is to set boundaries with the ward so my family is comfortable the neighborhood. So far so good.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.