Loophole BYU Victim Expulsion Despite Amnesty

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Loophole BYU Victim Expulsion Despite Amnesty

Post by _MsJack »

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/08/05/ ... ge-upheld/

A BYU-Idaho student reports that she has been suspended from the university despite the school's new "amnesty" policy for sexual assault victims. How?

She was drinking prior to the assault, and the man who assaulted her reported her to her bishop---who took away her ecclesiastical endorsement.

Good ol' boys' networks die hard, it seems.

I sincerely hope this policy is changed. I'd say it's time for annual ecclesiastical endorsements to go. As the article points out, no other conservative Christian colleges have such a system where your pastor / ecclesiastical leader can effectively kick you out of school after you've been admitted.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Loophole BYU Victim Expulsion Despite Amnesty

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

MsJack,

I'm guessing you would object if we start calling this the "MsJack Loophole?'
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I'm guessing you would object if we start calling this the "MsJack Loophole?'

Why would we call it that?
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here's BYU's Title IX website:

https://titleix.byu.edu/

https://titleix.byu.edu/faq-title-ix-and-the-honor-code

Being a victim of sexual assault is NEVER a violation of the Honor Code, and victims will never be punished for being sexually assaulted. The university recognizes that victims or witnesses of Sexual Misconduct might be hesitant to report an incident to university officials if victims or witnesses fear the discovery of Honor Code violations, such as alcohol use, drug use, or consensual sexual activity outside of marriage. To help address this concern and to encourage the reporting of Sexual Misconduct, the Title IX Office will not share the identity of a victim or witness with the Honor Code Office unless requested by such person or a person’s health or safety is at risk. Additionally, amnesty will be given for any Honor Code violations that may have occurred at or near the time of the sexual assault.

I'm a little confused how amnesty works when an ecclesiastical endorsement is rescinded. The Bishop's actions have a chilling effect on this policy.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Total, complete nonsense. Don't allow your children to go to any BYU school. While the undergraduate education may be a bargain, the social cost outweighs whatever savings there is.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

The man who assaulted her turned her into her bishop...
Jeezus...what is wrong with this picture??? YBU..you suck!
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

candygal wrote:The man who assaulted her turned her into her bishop...
Jeezus...what is wrong with this picture??? YBU..you suck!

Yes. To be clear, they were from the same ward, and his bishop was also her bishop.

But there is something very wrong with the university signing off on her suspension. If nothing else, the university could direct sexual assault victims to the BYU nondenominational chaplain for a provisional endorsement in cases like this.

_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

BYU-Idaho was rather clever getting around their pledge to adhere to the Title IX guidelines. The bishop simply put his shoulder to the wheel and pushed Title IX compliance aside.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

amnesty will be given for any Honor Code violations that may have occurred at or near the time of the sexual assault.
AT or NEAR. So if you sinned "far from" the time of your assault, then no amnesty. Who defines how many minutes is "far from"?

More seriously, If I recall correctly, this person said the school faculty member who is the Dean of Students is also the title IX coordinator. Isn't the title IX coordinator federally mandated to be an independent position? I think when byu overhauled their title IX positions, they couldn't even be in the same office location as the honor code administrators, due to the perceived conflict of interest.