Protect LDS Children "The action" tomorrow

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Protect LDS Children "The action" tomorrow

Post by _Jersey Girl »

RockSlider wrote:Washing people's feet, jumped the shark.

What's jumping the shark about it?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
RockSlider wrote:Washing people's feet, jumped the shark.

What's jumping the shark about it?

Homeboy's hunger strike didn't work.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Homeboy's hunger strike didn't work.

- Doc

In what way did it fail?

And how does that address the remark about shark jumping?
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Homeboy's hunger strike didn't work.

- Doc

In what way did it fail?

And how does that address the remark about shark jumping?

"To reach the point in a TV series that denotes it is irretrievably past its best by introducing a ridiculous or otherwise unbelievable plot device or characterization in order to boost ratings.

The phrase derives from a scene in the three-part 'Hollywood' episode of the American TV series Happy Days, broadcast in September 1977. The scene has 'The Fonz' (Henry Winkler), water skiing - unaccountably still wearing his trademark leather jacket - and jumping over a shark."

Sam, in order to bump up the ratings, so to speak, introduced the "hunger strike with caveats" in order to force the Church's hand. It failed, and short of setting himself on fire he really can't jump the shark again because it's played out, thus his campaign was not only starting to peter out a bit, his attempt at theatrics kind of sealed the deal on this movement.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
"To reach the point in a TV series that denotes it is irretrievably past its best by introducing a ridiculous or otherwise unbelievable plot device or characterization in order to boost ratings.

The phrase derives from a scene in the three-part 'Hollywood' episode of the American TV series Happy Days, broadcast in September 1977. The scene has 'The Fonz' (Henry Winkler), water skiing - unaccountably still wearing his trademark leather jacket - and jumping over a shark."

Sam, in order to bump up the ratings, so to speak, introduced the "hunger strike with caveats" in order to force the Church's hand. It failed, and short of setting himself on fire he really can't jump the shark again because it's played out, thus his campaign was not only starting to peter out a bit, his attempt at theatrics kind of sealed the deal on this movement.

- Doc

Huh?

Are you saying that forcing the church's hand to change policy was the only possible measure of success of the Hunger Strike and Spotlight?

Have you been following it?
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Well. Let's see what Sam Young's metric for success is:

STOP SEXUALLY EXPLICIT INTERVIEWS OF Mormon YOUTH
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. ALL ALONE. WITH AN OLDER MAN.

It is time for this practice to be eliminated from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

- Doc

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Well. Let's see what Sam Young's metric for success is:

STOP SEXUALLY EXPLICIT INTERVIEWS OF Mormon YOUTH
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. ALL ALONE. WITH AN OLDER MAN.

It is time for this practice to be eliminated from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

- Doc

That's pretty short sighted.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Be that as it may, I wouldn't call Vietnam a success because we won a few victories here and there.

Maybe that was a bad analogy.

I wouldn't think Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are super fired up about the last Super Bowl because they won the AFC footyballs game.

Probably a bad analogy, too.

I challenge someone to a 100M race. Winner gets a chicken dinner. Half way through the race I sit for a bit, even though I had the lead at the 50M mark. Dude beats me by 30 mins because win I sits I really take my time. Next thing you know dude went and changed his name to something ridiculous and that's all anyone can talk about. No one cares about the race anymore, and I'm feeding that idiot a chicken dinner.

As you can see I'm not very good at analogies.

- Doc

_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Be that as it may, I wouldn't call Vietnam a success because we won a few victories here and there.

Maybe that was a bad analogy.

I wouldn't think Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are super fired up about the last Super Bowl because they won the AFC footyballs game.

Probably a bad analogy, too.

I challenge someone to a 100M race. Winner gets a chicken dinner. Half way through the race I sit for a bit, even though I had the lead at the 50M mark. Dude beats me by 30 mins because win I sits I really take my time. Next thing you know dude went and changed his name to something ridiculous and that's all anyone can talk about. No one cares about the race anymore, and I'm feeding that ____ a chicken dinner.

As you can see I'm not very good at analogies.

- Doc

Hmmm. It's not bad. I think I understand what you're saying at least
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

But I don't know maybe it is fair to say you are being short-sighted? You have been participating in the Bill Reel "new narrative"thread. Do you think Dr.. Lowery's "rebellion" 20 years before the priesthood ban was revoked was a waste of time? Would MDD members say he had jumped the shark?

I kind of hope you are wrong about Sam's demonstration but I'm not sure you are
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson