It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Church confesses Home/Visit teaching insincere & uninspired?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:17 pm 
God

Based on the Church's chart linked below, the Lord's servants conducted an insincere program focused on "Check it Off" when conducting home or visiting teaching.

To me, the "new way" seems to be more of the same except for a bit of flexibility in visit frequency and message. I am surprised how easily all the years of home and visiting teaching is dismissed in this chart as insincere and inefficient.

I am having trouble embedding a pdf as an image, if anyone can help.

https://www.LDS.org/bc/content/shared/content/images/magazines/ensign/2018/12/dec-2018-ensign-magazine-mormon_2105939.pdf

2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong

Post subject: Re: Church confesses Home/Visit teaching insincere & uninspi
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:47 pm 
θεά

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:07 pm 
God

It's still completely insincere. The ONLY time my home teachers showed up was at the end of the month and gave me a token "Is there anything we can do for you" comment. Other than that they didn't give a flying flip about me. Anytime I saw them out and about in town, all they would say is we're gonna make it earlier to your place this month! Or something inane like it. Did they want to get to know us? Nope. Did it matter to them any of our successes or failures or adventures? Nope. But home teaching was the Lord's work, and celestial glory the carrot on the stick, and so they did it for years.

"The problem is most religions proceed to try and explain the truth and then insist that you agree with their explanation." Brad Warner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:54 pm 
God

The twin pillars of Home Teaching and visiting Teaching have now joined the long list of programs/beliefs/doctrine that has been thrown under the bus. As a TBM I was force fed the importance of home teaching and spent countless hours do it. All of that means nothing now?

Shortly before her death, my 94 year old ultra TBM mother commented that the church she grew up in and loved no longer exists.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:08 pm 
God

sunstoned wrote:
As a TBM I was force fed the importance of home teaching and spent countless hours do it. All of that means nothing now?

Of course not. That is if you were doing what you were supposed to be doing. And for the right reasons.

I would like to think that I have impacted people's lives for the better as they have mine during the run of the old HT'ing program. I don't think the impact of HT'ing should be underestimated, which is what you seem to be doing.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:10 pm 
God

Quote:
Mentalgymnast
I don't think the impact of HT'ing should be underestimated,

Yes, it was so impactful, its value incalculable, that the church did away with it in its old valuable form. :rolleyes:

"The problem is most religions proceed to try and explain the truth and then insist that you agree with their explanation." Brad Warner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:29 pm 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
sunstoned wrote:
As a TBM I was force fed the importance of home teaching and spent countless hours do it. All of that means nothing now?

Of course not. That is if you were doing what you were supposed to be doing. And for the right reasons.

I would like to think that I have impacted people's lives for the better as they have mine during the run of the old HT'ing program. I don't think the impact of HT'ing should be underestimated, which is what you seem to be doing.

Regards,
MG

So why is the program no longer valuable?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:40 pm 
God

sunstoned wrote:

So why is the program no longer valuable?

Because it's been discontinued. :wink: If it was still in operation, it would be the ways/means by which members minister to one another. I'm simply saying that during the run of the HT'ing program there was a lot of good that was done.

The ministering program will allow for the same, but it will be less 'letter of the law' and more 'spirit of the law'. The law being to love and care for each other the way Christ taught us to do. There isn't the pressure to continually return and report each month.

Kind of cool, really. :smile:

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:06 pm 
God

sunstoned wrote:

Shortly before her death, my 94 year old ultra TBM mother commented that the church she grew up in and loved no longer exists.

That is so sad, sunstoned.

:cry:

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 am 
God

“Home/Visiting teaching was the jewellery box, ministering is the pearl inside the jewellery box”

Do we have a facepalm emojicon?

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:52 pm 
God

I think HT could both "have meant something" but still be turned into something better, the two aren't mutually exclusive to one another. It is true that a lot of the old HT was very forced and didn't feel all the productive but I'm sure most of you on this board have stories you could share of positive experiences you garnered from the task.

I can't speak for the more densely populated Mormon areas but home/visiting teaching was a really important tool in a few of the branches I served in. It was the only outside contact for many of our older members, it was a good service opportunity for helping out some of the single sisters with some of the unique burdens they had, and assuming you got along with your companion and the families you were visiting it was usually some pretty solid fellowship time. The program was deeply flawed in many ways and I believe the good spirit it might have been intended in left some time ago but that doesn't mean it was useless, at least not for me.

Frankly I'm glad to see the change, if for nothing else but the sanity of the still believing members in my life. If the program really does morph to ease the time burden while increasing the quality of the visits that sounds like a win. Time will tell if the changes were for the positive and I do worry that some members will stay stuck in the HT/VT trap where they don't let the change really happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:11 pm 
Son of Perdition

THE OLD WAY TO POOP

Home and visiting teaching
Duty
Toilet
Squat
Plop

Wasted time and money!

Mormonism down the drain

Be sure to check back for changes, updates, and additions

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:18 pm 
Son of Perdition

THE NEW WAY

Ministering
(Get out there and do it now)
Love (Force yourself to love those people)
Pearl (The pearl belongs to the church not you)
Why do I do? (To obey the cult and check the box)
Outcome (Waste of time and money -- stupid Mormonism)

Failed Mormon programs no matter how you wrap it or what you call it

Be sure to check back for changes, updates, and additions

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:26 pm 
God

cookies, people...all you need is cookies...siincere or unsincere...cookies get you in the door...
(unless you are my daughter...she just walked away from all those girls and I wanted to just die)!! At the same tie I admired her...she saw through it way before I did.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 pm 
God

Maybe I'm weird, but I always enjoyed home teaching. My father, who was not a temple-going, tithe-paying member, was a consistently good home teacher. I was his companion for several years, and we got to know the people we home taught. I don't remember too many spiritual lessons, but it was always a visit that showed he cared about the families and what they were doing. I learned to see it as something to look forward to, not an obligation to get done before the end of the month.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:38 pm 
God

Runtu wrote:
Maybe I'm weird, but I always enjoyed home teaching. My father, who was not a temple-going, tithe-paying member, was a consistently good home teacher. I was his companion for several years, and we got to know the people we home taught. I don't remember too many spiritual lessons, but it was always a visit that showed he cared about the families and what they were doing. I learned to see it as something to look forward to, not an obligation to get done before the end of the month.
I found that generally Stake and Ward leadership's approach to HT/VT made all the difference.

I lived in places where it was considered a check mark; a rote task to be completed; and man was that a boring slog each month. These were typically the same places that didn't allow for unorthodox contact methods (e.g. some member want most of their contact to come via social media/phone calls) and emphasized too much that it had to be THE spiritual message from the Ensign delivered.

Others places took a more "fellowship minded" approach to it. There was a focus on the families/individuals that needed it the most and best attempts were made not to overwork those home teachers that actually did their visits. When I was in these places my experience was much the same as yours and I actually developed some valued relationships with those I visited.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:10 pm 
Bell Ringer

Runtu wrote:

My family had visiting teachers come by occasionally in Salt Lake City. That seems strange to me now because we were not Mormon. My parents would never turn anyone away from the door.

Always the same older gentleman (probably younger than I am now) and a rotating group of young companions.

They seldom, if ever, talked about the Church. The older gentleman was an avid fly fisherman and so was my dad. The evening usually revolved around fishing techniques and good trout streams.

My dad liked him a lot. So did I.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:36 am 
God

It’s not the programme, it’s the people and their motivation. The rebranding exercise will make not a jot of difference to outputs. The good home teachers, the good visiting teachers will be the good ministers. They don;t need a programme to do what they are doing, they don’t need the monthly coercion/guilt trip ministering interview. But Nelson needs some signature programme for his Presidency, to show the difference he personally made, and rebranding Home/Visiting Teaching was the best he could come up with.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'