Taboo of the word "God"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Taboo of the word "God"

Post by _zeezrom »

I just talked to my daughter on the phone and heard myself say, "Thank God..." in reply to something she said. After I said it, I realized it was quite new because I never said this phrase or anything like it as a Mormon. Why are Mormons taught not to say things like this? I realize there might be some Mormons out there who do. Perhaps the ones that grew up East of the Mississippi or maybe ones found in Europe. But among the Mormons I grew up with in Utah, we never EVER said the word in a phrase like this. "Oh my God" was also something I never used to say. Isn't this strange though because Mormons don't think it's a sin to say the name of God. It's not like we are saying "God dammit!" Saying "Thank God" is NOT saying the Lord's name in vain. Far from it. So, why is it taboo in Mormon culture?
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Re: Taboo of the word "God"

Post by _Grudunza »

Agreed. None of that is “taking the Lord’s name in vain,” but Mormons like to build extra rules on top of other rules.
:rolleyes:
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

When I was younger and played paintball I liked the moniker, "Wrath of God". I used it one time on a date while playing laser tag and the person entering the names in the system had a physical reaction when I told them that was the name I wanted to use. Without telling me they changed it to, "Wrath of Gosh". I loved that even more because it was hilarious. So I took it.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

I would say it’s a result of trying to be extra observant of the rule against cussing. You see similar outright avoidance of the words “hell” and “damn,” even though both words are useful in discussing religious topics (along with “god,” obviously). If a word is on the bad list, it should not pass your lips in any context.

The word now referred to only as ‘the n-word’ in all spoken or written communication has reached that status in society at large. It may not be used even in a discussion about words and their usage. It’s weird, but humans have a strong sense of taboo language.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

honorentheos wrote: Without telling me they changed it to, "Wrath of Gosh". I loved that even more because it was hilarious. So I took it.

That is awesome. Thanks for the chuckle :D
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

One some of the Mormon faithful boards some posters do not even type out the word "God" in their posts. They will sometimes do "G*d" or similar.