New GRAMA Request to BYUPD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

New GRAMA Request to BYUPD

Post by _consiglieri »

For those interested in such things, I just wanted to let you know I have drafted and mailed to the BYUPD a public disclosure request for any and all communications, including emails, relating to the decisions made by BYUPD to redact the police reports in the Joseph Bishop investigation; as well as the decisions made by BYUPD to refuse disclosure of the audio taped interview of Joseph Bishop.

And I specifically noted that the request covers all such communications including those with persons outside of the BYUPD.

Now that BYUPD can't hide behind the "we're not subject to GRAMA" argument anymore, this may prove to be interesting.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Re: New GRAMA Request to BYUPD

Post by _Craig Paxton »

You're too late....that stuff has already been put through the shredder.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

A possibility, I agree.

But a dangerous game to play.

Severe, and I mean really severe, penalties can be imposed for agencies that do that kind of thing if they are caught.

It's like committing a crime.

You better be darn sure you aren't going to get caught before you get started.

And I have at least one mole in the BYUPD to keep an eye on things . . .
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Brigham Young University will appeal a judge’s ruling that its police department is a governmental entity that should have to comply with Utah’s open-records laws.

“We intend to appeal,” BYU spokesman Todd Hollingshead wrote in a statement, “and as the Court wrote in today’s ruling: ‘BYU has strong arguments worthy of appellate consideration.’ We look forward to a more favorable ruling when brought before those of the faith.”

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/07/17/byu-will-appeal-judges/
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

consiglieri wrote:For those interested in such things, I just wanted to let you know I have drafted and mailed to the BYUPD a public disclosure request for any and all communications, including emails, relating to the decisions made by BYUPD to redact the police reports in the Joseph Bishop investigation; as well as the decisions made by BYUPD to refuse disclosure of the audio taped interview of Joseph Bishop.

And I specifically noted that the request covers all such communications including those with persons outside of the BYUPD.

Now that BYUPD can't hide behind the "we're not subject to GRAMA" argument anymore, this may prove to be interesting.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Outside BYU? Whoever do you mean....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DBMORMON
_Emeritus

Post by _DBMORMON »

Think this through. How much influence does the LDS Church have in utah with Legislators? Is that influence unique to Utah in terms of a religious institution being able to influence about half or more of its politicians to side with it out of loyalty?

This same religious institution owns Police Departments in the state and can through that police department access records it has no business accessing. That same Police Force can then redact documents when those redactions will hide that Religious Institutions unethical use of the Police Force to access records unethically.

This same Religious Institution can then also wants to claim its private police Force be exempt from GRAMA Laws that would expose all of its unethical activity.

This same Religious Institution can also influence legislators and Political leaders to not release and publish studies done to see how Police Records were accessed and utilized by This same Private police Force in order to help the Religious institution to resolve worthiness issues within its university.

This is messed up. In no other state would this dynamic play out. And it speaks loudly to how dysfunctional Utah is in having this large influence by Church upon State, in ways that deeply run counter to the Separation of Such and the very why of said Separation.

Please for those who are loyal to the Church, can you make an argument for why a Church owned Police department should be able to avoid the checks and balances that dissuade or prevent corruption?
http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ - Strengthening Feeble Knees and Lifting Hands that Hang Down
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

Access to records of private school police departments, where officers have the same authority as any other peace officer under state law both on and around campus, isn't an issue that's unique to BYU or Utah. There are also similar issues about access at private prisons.

https://www.cjr.org/united_states_proje ... ecords.php

I think the issue is a no-brainer. If the state is going to authorize a private institution to perform what typically would be a state function, something that the private institution could not legally do without that authorization, then the private institution should be subject to those state laws that are designed to ensure that thing are being done in accordance with state law.

But I also understand why a private institution would push back and not voluntarily agree to be subject to those law, especially when noncompliance (even if negligent or even in good faith) can subject it to liability, fines, and attorney's fees. You don't need some conspiracy theory (shredding documents, control from Church headquarters, collusion in defense of the lawsuit) why BYU would fight the request.
_Eyepatch
_Emeritus

Post by _Eyepatch »

I really appreciate all of the hours of unpaid work that Consiglieri is willing to donate to the cause. It's truly a display of goodwill that he's willing to play "David vs. Goliath" for us all, without any financial reward. Too bad the church has lost him as a "volunteer/member." I can only imagine how effective a church-member he was during his church time. I'm sure that he was worth about 50 lukewarm Elder's Quorum Presidents.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot