It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dan Peterson's blather about the new book on Darwin
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:24 pm 
God

Quote:
I invited readers to have a look at Tom Bethell’s 2017 book Darwin’s House of Cards, which I said I had found “extremely stimulating.” I didn’t denounce Darwin or evolution, let alone science. I simply said that I that thought that many would find the book “interesting.” (I tend to like to look at contrarian thinking on various topics.)

Ah, but Peterson is endorsing the book as a valid response to Darwin. That is not the same as simply looking at contrarian views. If there was something that was substantial, logical, and valid against evolution, WHY won't Dr. Peterson endorse that, instead of the ID-iotic nonsense of Intelligent Design procurers of nonsense? That is what he ought to address. He looked extensively into the backgrounds of those within the church who interpreted things differently than FARMS thought, such as Quinn, why won't he do the same with the tripe he peddles as scientific refutations of science? That is what I would like to see him address. Just where is the serious discussion on his part with serious science of evolution?

He thinks the book is interesting, but it's not. It is as interesting as reading yet another anti-Mormon book that regurgitates the same nonsense they did for the last 55-110 years. Peterson has had no patience with that kind of stuff, so why pick up the same caliber when it comes to a supposed refutation of science and evolution?! Why is he advocating the same kind of literature with the same kind of idiot logic he used to refute at FARMS? That is downright weird.

Science is not reliable because it provides certainty. It is reliable because it provides us with the best answers we have at present. And it is reliability we need, not certainty. The most credible answers are the ones given by science, because science is the search for the most credible answers available, not for answers pretending to certainty. Carlo Rovelli

Post subject: Re: Dan Peterson's blather about the new book on Darwin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:30 am 
Seedy Academician

I can confidently and comfortably say that DCP’s book recommendations in the field of science are something I can ignore to my educational benefit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:47 am 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
I can confidently and comfortably say that DCP’s book recommendations in the field of science are something I can ignore to my educational benefit.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In the end Elder Oaks was correct, In Mormonism “it is wrong to criticize leaders even if the criticism is true”. In fact it may be the only real true Doctrine left in Mormonism from the beginning of the restoration. --Bill Reel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:14 pm 
Nursery

I believe that one day Darwinian evolution will go down as one of the biggest hoaxes in world history.

"Natural selection" tries to replace intelligence, but then we are left to wonder how natural selection could have selected components that served no purpose when they were selected and would only be useful later on in more complex bio machines.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:26 pm 
God

mikegriffith1 wrote:
I believe that one day Darwinian evolution will go down as one of the biggest hoaxes in world history.

"Natural selection" tries to replace intelligence, but then we are left to wonder how natural selection could have selected components that served no purpose when they were selected and would only be useful later on in more complex bio machines.

That's nice, Mike. Welcome to the board. :wink:

In the end Elder Oaks was correct, In Mormonism “it is wrong to criticize leaders even if the criticism is true”. In fact it may be the only real true Doctrine left in Mormonism from the beginning of the restoration. --Bill Reel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:29 pm 
God

mikegriffith1 wrote:

Rather than providing an assertion, would you mind debunking evolution? This could be a real game changer, Mike.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm 
God

Welcome Mike.

Is this you? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_T._Griffith

Daniel C. Peterson, 2012

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:37 am 
God

mikegriffith1 wrote:

I believe that one day the evolution of Mormonism will go down as one of the biggest religious hoaxes in world history.

In Mormonism, Church leaders Encourage members to replace intelligence with The Holy Spirit. Despite it proving completely unreliable as a mechanism for determining the truthfulness of things and the validity of choices.

See my signature line Mike, and if you pray about it with real intent you will come to know it is true.

(Fence Sitter, Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:33 am 
God

mikegriffith1 wrote:

Do you consider yourself a Young Earth Creationist? The LDS Temple endowment teaches that correct? I wonder how the Nuanced/Progressive Mormons would label themselves? Any literal interpretation of the Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden is young earth creationism correct?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:36 am 
Dragon

Hasn't natural selection been proven to be true? I thought so... But perhaps we should discount scientific methodology, as it has nothing to do with the "Holy Ghost".

Riding on a speeding train;
trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain;
Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world
can change your direction:
One step where events converge
may alter your perception.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 am 
Dragon

This is Griffith's "ready answer" to the Book of Abraham.... you'll love this Kerry...

https://mormonchallenges.org/category/s ... ofabraham/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 am 
God

mikegriffith1 wrote:

No offense, but there's no substance in your post. If you'd like to make a reasoned critique of evolutionary biology, let's hear it.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:29 am 
Dragon

I'm sorry, but I've been browsing the link provided by Griffith in his signature line. You won't get anything of substance from him, because he is a Mopologist and has been for years. Now, take this he wrote about prophecy and why anyone who is critical of Joseph Smith as a prophet is dead wrong:

Quote:
1. Almost all prophecy is conditional to one degree or another, even if this is not stated in the prophecy itself (which is often the case).

2. In some cases human actions and choices can alter, postpone, or prevent the fulfillment of prophecy.

3. A prophecy is not always telling us what will happen, but what could happen under certain circumstances.

4. A prophey’s timetable for fulfillment can be misunderstood.

5. A prophecy can apply to more than one occurrence or time period, i.e., it can have dual application.

6. A prophecy's fulfillment can be intended to take place in the spirit world or during the millennium, even if this is not stated in the prophecy itself.

7. The fulfillment of prophecy can go unobserved and/or unrecorded.

8. A prophecy can contain rhetorical overstatements. For example, a prophecy might read that "every single house" in a certain town will be "leveled to the ground," when what is really meant is that the town will suffer heavy destruction.

9. Such terms and expressions as "soon," "quickly," "in a little while," "shortly," etc., are often given from the Lord's perspective of time--so that "soon," for example, might turn out to be a very long time by our reckoning.

10. The text of a prophecy can undergo alteration to the point that it no longer reflects the original intent of the prophecy.

With this set of "rules", (his) you can make a "prophecy" say anything or have any kind of fulfillment. It's simply BS apologetics to cover for Smith's utter failure as a prophet. I mean, why even have prophets prophesy, if what they say doesn't really matter at all? Because if you NEVER KNOW if a prophecy means what it says and says what it means, what the ____ good is it? I mean, you can literally say ANYTHING, and then get away with it failing, because it really has a different meaning than what was actually written. His "rules" are ridiculous.

This guy has nothing to offer except apologetics. He serves the god of disingenuity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 am 
Dragon

Here is all you need to know about what he thinks about evolution...

http://miketgriffith.com/files/ldsleade ... lution.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:34 am 
God

Why is Mr. Griffith's name familiar to me? Scouring my brain to figure out where I've come across him before.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 am 
Son of Perdition

grindael wrote:
This is Griffith's "ready answer" to the Book of Abraham.... you'll love this Kerry...

https://mormonchallenges.org/category/s ... ofabraham/

What a laugh. Joe Blow Smith couldn’t read a single word of Egyptian. Joseph Smith was a filthy liar. Those who defend the cult master are liars too. I rebuke Mormonism and their shameful system of religion. Apologists today are scum.

Includes a startling new discovery!

An original and authentic look at Facsimile No. 3 as never seen before.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 am 
Son of Perdition

Runtu wrote:
Why is Mr. Griffith's name familiar to me? Scouring my brain to figure out where I've come across him before.

He’s poopoo from the lips of Joe Blow Smith.

Joe Smith wrote the poopy Book of Abraham out of the poop hole of his lying head. His Facsimile Explanations are poop droppings of Mormonism. They stink like poop. Mormon poop.

Need I say more? (I’m board waiting for a flight to Orlando)

Book of Abraham = Poop.
Apologists = Poopy toilet paper.

Includes a startling new discovery!

An original and authentic look at Facsimile No. 3 as never seen before.

Last edited by Shulem on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 am 
God

I hope Mr. Griffith will return and defend his thesis. :cool:

Sigh. Looks like another drive by. Do Mopes get a pin or something for doing this? A Webelo badge, maybe? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:22 pm 
Seedy Academician

Runtu wrote:

There is a much more distinguished gentleman by the name of Thomas Griffith who is a judge on the D.C. federal appeals court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_B._Griffith

He was on the list for the job Kavanaugh will get.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
There is a much more distinguished gentleman by the name of Thomas Griffith who is a judge on the D.C. federal appeals court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_B._Griffith

He was on the list for the job Kavanaugh will get.

I'm just having this vague recollection in the back of my brain of having interacted with an apologist named Michael T. Griffith. I can't figure out why I know his name. But, yeah, I'm not all that impressed with his apologetics, either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:14 pm 
God

mikegriffith1 wrote:

Do you have an example?